Samurai Beast Monk - Tips on improving fur?

Recently, I’ve picked up 3D sculpting as a new tool to play with.
Model,Sculpt and Rendered in Blender. Character Design by Kim Jung Gi

i only use snake hook tool to make the fur which i think it can be done better, any suggestion to make it more furry. tried with Fur Particles setting but everything looks weird. so i just stick with the cartoony fur type :frowning:

More images in link below with high res,
any comments to improve and critique are welcome :slight_smile:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/52348039/Samurai-Beast-Monk

Hey,

I like your model! It’s got interesting proportions and you have spent a lot of attention to detail. Especially the cartoon render style really gets me.

If you want to try some particle hair I can recommend Andrew Price’s tutorial on Furr! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVj1fETtuN8&t=12s
I was able to do this trashy postcard by following the tutorial and playing with the values of the particle system. (I used two, one for the short, one for the long hair)

If you want to try this, I can send you the .blend file of my project. (sorry for the self advertising)

If you want to go more for the cartoon style you should find some examples of good stylised Furr on artstation or similar sites. If you have found some that look amazing to you, try to think of how they have been sculpted. This kind of reverse engineering is a good exercise for any sculptor. I think the snake hook is a good brush to start with but I think you need to spend some more time getting the strands of hair right. Right now they look oddly pointy and more like little spikes. Maybe you find a way to improve without loosing the nice sketchy look of your model.

I hope you find this helpful. Have a good time!

Aaron

P.S.: Particle Hair sucks a lot of ressources! I could barely render this scene on my geforce970 card, cause the memory useage gets pretty high with a dense particle system.

Thanks for the comment Aaron.
It seems that the tutorial from blenderguru did help me to make the fur happen, previously my fur was spreading all around the model like a cactus without any gravity or falloff, now it seems to work but i still have to remodel the head and use weight paint tool to choose which fur is longer and which is shorter which works quite well. :slight_smile:

will try to improve the pointy fur . thanks for the advice ! :slight_smile:

ps/ love how you model the hair of the unicorn which looks really natural . great work!

There are also grooming tools for combing, and trimming and stuff.