Video Game industry Advice

Hi

I read through every sub-board and this topic didn’t fit into any of them. This question is in relation to computer graphics but not about anything technical.

Basically I’m graduating this year in Contemporary Crafts. The majority of the course was physically making art objects, but I discovered that I could use Google Sketchup, and then I moved onto Blender, and now am playing with a combination of Blender, Substance Painter and Substance Designer. I’m not amazing at it as most of my time has been dedicated to making non-virtual art.

If I wanted to get into the games industry what do I have to be able to demonstrate to potential employers? I’m definitely not good enough at this point to be employable (although I have made a few textures for this mobile game which I was paid for). Ideally I would go do another degree in either a general games course or a 3d modelling specific one, but you can’t get student loans to cover second degrees here in the UK.

Is there such a thing as a paid internship where they don’t expect you to be at the level of someone who has a relevant degree?

Does it matter that the bits and pieces I have done are weird abstract sculptures like this?

If anyone can give me any advice on this, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

It’s art related. It’s a step above anyone who doesn’t have any art-related things in their portfolio. But think about what you want to demonstrate about yourself. It may be that those hand sketches you did back at the start of your courses would emphasise that more than the sculptures you did at the end.

Also, in most cases, art is art. A person who can see what needs to be done to make something look better, be it in sculpture, painting or throwing vertices around. Unfortunately very few companies recognise this - but try your luck the smaller companies, many of them may well see some potential, and take you on for a few months to see how quick you learn.

Is there such a thing as a paid internship where they don’t expect you to be at the level of someone who has a relevant degree?

I wouldn’t expect paid internships from the entertainment industry. Too many people want to be in it. Especially the game industry nowadays. I’m going for a BS in ME and the internships pay roughly your education/experience.