Somebodybody please send me in the righ direction here.

Hey again,… i need some help because this is really bugging me… Ive been foolin around with Smoke Sims for a while now and cant really tell if something is wrong with my system, with blender, or with my settings… Basically, i am finding that before baking the simulation, the simulator is just slowing down too much… it gets progressively slower as it plays through, and that is to be expected, but it just isnt bearable and it is becoming discouraging to even want to initially set up a smoke sim… Tryiing to set up 80 frames for a little over 3 seconds and trying to scrub through the scene before i commit to baking the animation just doesnt seem to be a practical methodology for blender… If i hit the play button, it starts of very quickly, but then slown to an absolutely awful .45 fps in the viewport and takes forever to get to the final frame… I just cant work like that… I open up task manager to check the cpu usage and utilization and it just doesnt make sense to me… what is the source of the hold up… cause it definitely isnt my cpu based on this?.

I would turn down the settings until you like the simulation, then turn them back up for the final simulation with all of the details.

Thanks for the quick reply!!.. I get turning down the settings of the sim will make it significantly faster…, but the sim isnt utilizing any of my hardware anyway… and id rather set everything up as close to can be, rather than set it and keep changing it back and forth… so what im wondering is why isnt blender utilizing more than 11% of my cpu to process the simulation?

I believe Blender simulations are still single threaded.

that sounds like the worst thing they could be… so… no matter what hardware you run, the simulation is going to absolutely lag and force you to do low resolution previews?

Hi, Smoke is multi threaded but not 100%, fluid is better iirc.
Greatest problem it does not work in viewport only if you bake so setup is very hard.

Cheers, mib

Yeah…unfortunately that seems to be the case… so no real streamlined or intuitive way to get smoke sims done then I guess… bummer.