"Loading the scene" in animations / Cycles GPU rendering

Hi,

i am sure somebody can answer me this question: If i render an animation is the “scene” loaded into VRAM for every new frame which gets rendered or is the whole animation (all frames) loaded into VRAM before the GPU(s) start rendering? So does “loading the scene into VRAM” mean just one frame which will be rendered next or does it mean the whole animation regardless which frame will be rendered by this GPU (if you have multiple GPUs)?

Not just the current frame - everything needed to create every possible frame. The GPU is built to take the data that describes your scene and use it to figure out what that image will look like.

Multiple GPUs don’t “stack” with each other but instead run in parallel. As such, the one with the least VRAM governs what can be loaded, so when using them together it’s best to have similar cards. Otherwise you end up with a digital equivalent of a supercar being stuck behind a Yugo. :eyebrowlift2:

Thanks - i have asked because if you have slow PCI-e connections (because of usb-riser cables) it obviously won’t matter very much in case of rendering animations if i understood your comment correctly.