IOR affected by fresnel?

Hi there everyone… I would like to know if there is any way to influence IOR of a refraction shader with a fresnel-like node… Up to now, I can’t make it work correctly… :frowning:

Yes - just plug fresnel into the IOR slot via a math node.

IORs for transparent materials need to be above 1 - and the Fresnel node will output values between 0 and 1, so you either need to add or multiply (or both) by something.

I have used the layer weight node in this case just because the effect is easier to see - but the same principle applies.

Can I ask a question, if I want to create a glass shader, like a doctor’s glasses, what or how can I do it,
Note, that I use a glossy to give me the specular effect, mixed up with glass shader, to give the transpant effect, but it’s not satisfying,

Can you post an example image - the glass shader already has glossy built in.

yep, you should mix it with a refraction BSDF to have both the behaviours (refl+refr)

I just can’t seem to upload img, I don’t know why

Glass is fresnel mixing either refraction and glossy or transparent and glossy. I don’t think layer weight/facing will produce good results, stick with either layer weight/fresnel or the actual fresnel node for the mixing. If you don’t want caustics you should also mix in a fully white (or as desired) transparency shader at the end using light path/isShadowRay as control.

Cool! Thanks moony!