CPU Cooler

I am looking into buying a new CPU cooler for my FX-9590 (and yes, it runs hot). I have done some research and am trying to decide between the Corsair H100i or the Noctua NH-D14 although I am open to other options. If it makes any difference I may consider overclocking in the future. Thanks!

I personally use the Corsair H100i for my i7-6900k and it keeps it really cool, would definitely recommend. I have it OC from 3.2 base 3.7 boost to ~4.2Ghz and it runs low 30s at idle, around 60 at load with two large NVIDIA Pascal GPUs. Usually 55-65 depending on a few factors like room temp and what other components are running at.

Thanks for the input!

i have heard good things about noctua. cooler master makes some popular models too.

just make sure what ever you get fits in the case.

I’ve never invested on a liquid cooler before so it’s personal opinion that I feel a heat pipe has less room to go wrong, if there’s enough room in your rig

My case is the corsair 400r which appears (according to my research) to be able to take an 185mm tall radiator and the NH-D14 is only 160mm, so it should fit. Thanks for the input!

I use the Noctua on my overclocked FX-8350 and am quite happy with the cooling performance. I changed the provided 3-pin fans for 4-pin-PWM ones, though, for better temperature control.

One thing to consider - beside the Noctua’s size - is its massive weight (1240 g) and the fact that there is little room below its heat sink: If your RAM modules have their own tall cooling elements on them, they might not fit underneath the Noctua…

My RAM is listed on the compatibility list for the Noctua so I hope it fits. I have an ASUS sabertooth r3.0 so I think the Noctua’s weight will be OK. Thanks for the input! Out of curiosity, what do you have your FX-8350 overclocked to?

Nothing fancy, just a basic 4.0 GHz to 4.6 GHz overclock…