Will Nvidia GTX 1050/1060 be supported in blende 2.8??

Apparently Nvidia driver has crippled its opengl support on my msi GTX 750ti in my win 7 and now I’m unable to run blender version higher than 2.78a

Besides with all the machine learning going on, it seems like a right time to invest on a new card anyway so share what you know here

Hi.
Sure, GTX 1050/1060 will be supported. Between those two, my recommendation the GTX 1060 but with 6GB vRAM version.

But for me there is something wrong in what you say. Even Blender 2.8 should support the OpenGL version supported by 750 Ti. You try installing new nvidia driver correctly.

Thank you for your time on this but I have no idea what is going on either and the other day I was testing some code in opengl and glew, it prints out my card is unable to support modern opengl?

Here’s the C++ code

glewInit();
if (glewIsSupported("GL_VERSION_4_5"))
{
  std::cout << " GLEW Version is 4.5
 ";
}
else

{
   std::cout << "GLEW 4.5 not supported
 ";
}

I update my drivers all the time, do I need to uninstall all traces of Nvidia(control etc) and do a fresh installation?

I don’t know about this GLEW code, but you can use GPU caps viewer to check OpenGL support. According to this database, the 750Ti should support OpenGL 4.5. Make sure to have the right drivers installed.

Either way, OpenGL 4.5 support is completely irrelevant for Blender. Blender will run with a OpenGL 2.1 compliant driver and very few features require OpenGL 3+. This won’t change until Blender 2.8.

What is the problem you currently have when you try to launch Blender 2.8?
Are you compiling Blender, or downloading 2.8 builbot daily builds?
I had this problem with GLEW a few days ago on Linux:

So if you’re compiling Blender 2.8, you try to update GLEW:
http://glew.sourceforge.net/

I think these are the OpenGL requirements for 2.8:

That’s strange, I’m still running a ancient GTX460, and it works fine for Blender 2.78c. I need to try one of the 2.8 builds.

Thanks for the time and input shedding some lights to my ongoing issues, I’m currently only able to run 2.78a but even with this version I’m still experiencing crashes from accessing cycles render or system menu in user preference

I’ve tried launching with set CYCLES_OPENCL_TEST=NONE batch script but it’s still crashing so I’m led to believe it’s my card and it’s driver that is causing my problem and hopefully a new gpu will resolve it

@BeerBaron
Thanks for the link

edit: the GpuCapsViewer crashes upon launch just like blender :spin:

@YAFU

What is the problem you currently have when you try to launch Blender 2.8?

It crash immediately at launch

Are you compiling Blender, or downloading 2.8 builbot daily builds?

No, I’m not compiling Blender, I usually install or unzip

@Grimm
lol really, what’s going wrong on my machine?:confused:

There have been some issues with 2.8 release builds a few days ago. New builds no longer crash when starting. Have you tried new builds?

I’m sure your graphics card is not an old card and should perfectly support the OpenGL requirements by Blender 2.8. Do you have the possibility to test it on another operating system (Linux)? If so, remember to install nvidia proprietary drivers on Linux (from distribution repositories)

PS.
Have you tried 2.78c? Maybe your problem with 2.78a has been solved in 2.78c

Also:
Have you selected “do a clean install” option (or something like that) in nvidia driver installer when you install new driver on Windows?

I don’t have linux on my system atm

PS.
Have you tried 2.78c? Maybe your problem with 2.78a has been solved in 2.78c

I’ve tested all blender higher than 2.78a up to 2.80.0

Also:
Have you selected “do a clean install” option (or something like that) in nvidia driver installer when you install new driver on Windows?

Yes, I just did an uninstallation of old driver and updated to the latest 382.05 driver

This seems like a rare issue that may never be resolved so I will try a new or borrow a different card to test this some time later, thanks

I run a NVidia GTX750 Ti and have no problems at all on 2.78c under Windows 8.1 64-bit

HI,

I confirm, NVidia GTX750Ti works correctly under WIN 7 64 Bits with Blender 2.78c or Buildbot version . . . :eyebrowlift:

To the OP: Whenever you update your drivers, select the box for “Clean Install” and you will have a minimum of problems. It’s actually recommended by nVidia.

Stupid question time: I couldn’t help but notice a change in terminology during the life of the thread. It started out as “OpenGL” but has now changed to “OpenCL”. Which one is actually being discussed here?

I’m sorry, that “opencl” fix was suggested to me from google when I first encountered the crashes, now I’m not saying I knew the underlying cause but by the time I make this thread I was assuming the nvidia drivers causing an issue to opengl support, a guess at best

Thanks for all your time, I’ll mark this thread as solved for now