Modeling with radial symmetry in Blender?

I am not talking about adding an array modifier on a model. Zbrush has this amazing feature in their Zmodeler and it’s a lifesaver when you need to model features on a cylindrical shape.
https://youtu.be/1EvsDTMR6Zo?t=485

What it does that the array modifier cannot (apart from saving massive amounts of time and headaches) is for example if you have a cylindrical objects that you need to cut 16 holes into one part of the mesh and 12 holes into a nearby portion of the same mesh. If you wanted to do this you currently it’s a massive nightmare of having to use the array modifier on different parts of your mesh and applying the modifiers and combining your meshes.
While with Zmodeler you can just activate radial symmetry and model away, the only thing you have to think about is having a sufficient amount of edges.

The symmetrical modeling operations in Blender is currently very weak in general. You can only activate mirror modeling on the X-axis and even then it doesn’t work on anything more complex than simple move, scale or rotate commands. You can’t extrude, inset, bevel or do any simple modeling operations.

I’m guessing it’s not an easy task but would it be possible to implement radial symmetry in edit mode?

It’s true that it’s not array modifier, but the results are the same.

I don’t think that this could be hard to accomplish, but dev will need time and workers (the real problem of BF).