Support on modeling a pipe intersection for a bicycle fork

Hi there,

i would appriciate some help on modeling a pipe intersection. Would like to model something like on the picture. Important for me is the intersection between the main pipe and the two side arms.
http://www.sino-zhome.com/upload/2012101316391798751.jpg

I tried with extruding from the main pipe, but the result is not so good for me.

I would like to avoid sculpting. If you have an idea which would help me, that would be great!

Thanks!

look into the “spin” tool.

Thats not the correct way to do it. You will need to create 3 cylinders separatedly and join em. Or you can create just one and join another one, cut half the faces and mirror.

Keep in mind, modelling these things you need to set a fixed value on all the cylinders vertex numbers, so they match when you going to join em. And you model in in low poly, and join em in low poly, then after that smooth. Not before…

Thanks to both of you. I will take a look at both your suggestions!

:slight_smile:

As Modron says, use the spin tool. About the fixed values, as N3mes1s mentioned, this is only true if the cylinders are of the same diameter. In my example I used one of 16 vertices for the bigger one, and one of 12 vertices for the smaller one.

Hi Speedthriller,

that look perfectly like what I am looking for. I looked at the Spin tool and watched the “famous” wine glass tutorial. So I know how it should work, but I have problems to get it how this helps me with connecting the two cylinders. I see, you used the mirror modifier, so half of the shape was created with the spin tool. But since the cylinders go in different axis, how can this help me.

Sorry, but I am “standing on the hose” like we say in germany ;). In other words, I don’t really get it!

I try to play a little bit around with it, but I would really appreciate a little hint.

Thanks!

edit: Have you cut the shape of the horizontal cylinder into the vertical cylinder and then used the spin tool with the edge loop? I tried this, but it is quite difficult to adjust the spin tool to get a proper position of the created cylinder.

Hey Red2blue
I started out with a circle of 16 vertices in the center, then I placed a bit smaller one with 12 vertices to the left of it. I placed the cursor in the center of the first one (where the origin is) and made a spin with a 90 degree angle.
Then I extruded the first circle up in the Z direction, placed some extra edge loops (Ctrl-R) and used edge slide (tap G twice) to move some vertices in such a way that you can connect both pieces.
It is mirrored on the x and y axis to save time. This way you have to connect only half a pipe.

Thanks a lot for the explanation. This sounds good. Didn’t had the time to try it. But I will give it a shot tomorrow.

:slight_smile: