So, Alt + D = Shift + D ?

Hello. My question is about linked duplication of objects. with Alt + D, some get to be linked, some wont. sometimes, it happens inside hierarchies, sometimes without. having modifiers wont make a difference, or being curve or mesh, wont either. I can’t understand why those objects, when duplicated, wont keep links.

What conditions can limit this duplication feature?

So, Alt + D = Shift + D ?

Many thanks :eek:

Shift D simply duplicates the object, while Alt+D creates a new mesh with the same properties, without actually duplicating anything. if you Alt D an object, and edit it, the change will apare on every linked object. there are some limitations when you create linked objects, which i cant think of from top of my head.

also, one benefit is smaller file size, since ur not actually creating a duplicate.

linking behavior can be mimicked by going the the mesh properties (gray triangle) and selecting the desired mesh from the drop down. this may or may not copy vertex data such as colors, weights, or normals.

Your description is what i learned in tutorials, makes sense to me, and i can replicate in a simple new scene. The problem was the changes in the objects, maybe because of a bigger mesh, didn’t update the other copies, until after i put the altered object back in object mode.

Thanks