normal map not working

so im trying to bake normal map from high resolution mesh to low res.
blender 2.78c .im trying to do it the usual way

1. duplicate the object
  2. add some detail to the object
  3. unwrap low poly object
  4. create map
  5. select high res object then low res object
  6. hit bake

but nothing happend , the result is only blue color with nothing whatsoever
heres the blend file : upload.blend (447 KB)
as you can see im baking a really simple mesh.
but still not working , i tried to add subdivision, try to change the map color, etc,etc but nothing works.
i found out that this problem only occur when i add detail to axis only ,(like extruding on x,y,z only like a straight plane) but when the face create a slope the normal map just bake perfecly, if that make sense ? anyway just check the blend file please.

please help, i am stressing out trying to figure this thing for 4 hour :frowning:

HI,

For me, your blend file is OK . . . . But for this one must give a little “normals” (bevel) to your angles.

HI,

For me, your blend file is OK . . . . But for this one must give a little “normals” (bevel) to your angles.

Also think of applying “Rotations and Scales” ==> Ctrl + A to your various objects

how do i do that ?
sorry im a noob at this one

First of all, think of applying the “Rotations and Scale” ==> Select the object and Ctrl + A

To perform a Bevel:

• in edit mode, select edge (s) ==> Ctrl + B (and optionally add edges with the mouse wheel …)
  • in object mode, select the object ==> add a modifier of type BEVEL
  • use an addon like HardOps. . .

Although the thread is about baking high to low normals, you might find useful info in this and the other thread it points to. https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?421377-High-to-Low-Normals-Bake-not-working

oh okay i get it . normal map need a little bit of angle to work
thanks guys