Wolf Warrior- Fur Practice

Hello, I decided to pick up this old model of mine that I made a year ago and try to make it work again. I wanted to use it for a fight scene I had planned, but never got around to it because of the awful fur systems in Blender. I’ve tried many times using Fur or Hair but I can never make it look good, thus leading me to always make bald characters or creatures without fur, like this one. But I’m making this topic here hoping that someone around here can guide me trough this. My view of Blender Hair Particles is that they are nigh impossible to work with and this is the best I can achieve. I don’t know how to improve this and seriously need some assistance, otherwise I’ll never really end up on finishing anything I do.

I know some people here can work miracles with Hair, but they never share how they do it. So I’m hoping here, me and you guys can make this look better, because I can’t really progress alone anymore. I have hit a brick wall and I can’t overcome it alone. I’ve been on it for years.

Here are some renders:

What I want to focus on is the Fur on the Head and the tail, specially the Head where I think it just looks awful…

Any advises on what I should try and do?

looks pretty good imo.
i think it just needs some more color and overall roughness.
some changes to length. look at some reference images and look how the hair behaves in terms of length and shape.

for example, i feel like the head looks way too round in terms of fur,
a wolf has very short hairs around the snout and as it goes further back it becomes longer and almost reaches a diamond kind of shape.
the scale and overall settings of the hair can also play a tremendous role. play around with the root and scale settings a bit till you are happy with the results.

I think I have improved it a bit. Although I ain’t sure, it still doesn’t quite look like with what I want.