Google Seurat - High end rendering on Mobile Phones and Moble VR

Pretty much what the title says - Make your high poly scenes like you normally would then Seurat will simplify them so that they can run on mobile.

More info here -> https://uploadvr.com/googles-seurat-aims-bring-desktop-level-graphics-mobile-vr/

if i understand correctly, this is baking simplified… light still needs to be computed before.
i.e. 360 turntable made of jpgs

I haven’t checked how it is done in detail yet, but you are for sure right that everything needs to be baked and it would e.g. not be possible to have interactive elements in it.

Not quite. Unless I’m mistaken it’s doing this: https://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/light/

Well they make GSOC possible, and often allow Blender participate for Gsoc.
So what’s next (after this)… Google taking 3d so seriously that they will put 50 developers on Blender ???

I hope then we wont get marketing adds inside Blender, but ehm well if Google is getting a 3D interest, then Blender dev could grow extreme quick…

They can render dynamic elements differently, I’m fairly sure the robots in the demo are not actually precomputed.

Regular lights fields take a huge amount of memory, even when compressed. They’re calling it “surface light fields”, so it probably works more like lightmaps.

You are absolutely right!

Like they explain in the video it’s a new type of bake scene. Unity announced something similar in the last conference by the hand of Otoy. All this is really heavy in memory and nobody will use this except for littles scenes or experiment games, because all that you can see there is expensive (the real problem for VR right now) and a classic ingame graphics have better perfomance.

Is a good experiment, but not a real tool.

VR high end mobile is a self-contradiction. Either its high end or its on mobiles.

Looks like Seurat was open sourced.

Ooh. Yes.
the .py maya rig script is there too.
It generates the “cube camera array rig”
and json file.

Did someone converted it for blender?

a cycles scene capture should look very nice
a eevee scene capture would be very fast.)

Someone make a Blender addon using Seurat and I’ll gladly buy it.

@sasa42 @XenWildman I figured better late than never, so I made a Seurat Blender addon. Hopefully it’s still useful :slight_smile:

I’m personally using it for custom environments on my Oculus Quest and it works really well.

3 Likes