Babylon 5 CGI remaster (Omega Destroyer test)

So I wanted to see if its possible to make industry quality render, using only Blender.

Recreating jumpoint scene from Babylon 5, as one of my favorite TV shows was a perfect opportunity for this.
The original CGI for the 1st season was rendered in Lightwave, on Amiga, back in 1993!
Unfortunately, all of the original scenes, models, animations and source files were lost forever, due to HDD failure…

So, here is my re-creation:

and the

I tried to keep that dark, industrial feel that is characteristic of the series.
Now, critics please :eyebrowlift2:

1 Like

It looks nice but it’s dark, as it should be. Works well for the shot. It’s a quick passover and the model works well.

I’d like to see a pan over the model like it flies by slowly. Gawd I loved Babylon 5…

1 Like

Pretty cool.

I have to say that in the still image, everything looks too crisp and clean to me (the corners are too sharp, the flat pieces are too flat etc.). And while it is isn’t immediately apparent in the fly over, people do actually pick up on that, at least subconsciously. As it happens this was also a problem with the original renders.

1 Like

That’s pretty nice. I also had the wish to do something like that especially since most space battles are so poorly choreographed in the original it should be relatively easy to improve on that.

1 Like