The Horse Project - Short Animation

Here is the first animation test of the running horse:

Attachments

1 Like

Nice animation of the horse. 4 legged animals are always difficult for me.

The animation good and the horse model is nice to work on the horse tail rigging

Thanx! It was a challenge for me to animate a quadruped like horse, I got some references from the Dreamworks movie Spirit.

Update:
Semi-finalized facial expressions. There is a lack of changes in the shape-keys of the mouth, because I had a lot of difficulty with the drives.

Update #03
Another big breakthrough for the project. The horse’s Shape keys are finalized. I did a quick facial animation test.

The first image of the horse (after photoshop) looks like something from a dreamworks movie. The animations look pretty good too…
I hope this does work out for you.

Hi, thanks for the comment. Spirit is one of my inspirations in this project.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486462[/ATTACH]

Hi!
I’m not sure if it’s the angle of the gallop animation, but it looks like his front-left leg is kind of slapping forward and backward.
If I could see a fixed-camera version of it, maybe I’d be able to judge better, but for me it seems very odd.

Suggestion for if it actually does turn out to be the animation itself and not the model: create a circular flat plane under the horse, and place the model over it directly to see if it feels like he could realistically be galloping on the floor.

In terms of the overall project, it seems super professional and refined. I could definitely learn a lot from someone with your knowledge of face rigging and the like.

I’d suggest to lower the face elasticity and make it more stiff for the animation. For the overall animation, keep in mind that a horse’s back is moving as well. Having a reference from real individuals could help. All in all it’s hard to animate a horse and you did a fairly good job so far. This is what I’d say you could improve if you want to.