Blender Game SDK(Share your games without having to build anything)

Hello people,

I had an idea about making blender games easy and dynamic to use and share and I am testing out right now what others think about it.

Cause of that I gave it a go on Greenlight too.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=931343019

Honestly it would be great if blender foundation would release this as a sharing platform on steam for better support, and who knows if mine is going through.

I want to release it as GPL open source so if blender foundation has interest to include this project into blender foundation please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Overall it is a launcher that can manage and launch an infinite amount of blendergames provided as .blend files managing also resolution, fullscreen on/off, glsl/multitexture, vsync.
Also this way games can be released under other licenses than gpl.
Of course source code is aviable but creative commons could be a licence to consider.

It is the perfect platform to share blender games and would also be possible with the steam workshop.
Additionally you only need 1 .blend file for all platforms instead to build one built per platform

https://youtu.be/NbueiYQ3zc0

You are of’course welcome to write below if you are interested in this project or just say hi;)

I hope you realize that most games are not contained in a single .blend file, and that can not be made that way by design (the packing button, doesn’t pack everything your game may need, like external libs, extra configuration files, etc…). And I also hope you realize that any game (.blend) that was not made in the same version of blender than your launcher will probably fail to work completely, or be very prone of bugs, no even considering UPBGE games.

This doesn’t avoid GPL since any “.blend” including python code will import a GPL library (blender). There are ways, like this, to make GPL appliance doubting, but not to avoid it completely.

Then there is also the problem of configuring graphics. Some times you need to configure graphics because certain configurations make the game crash (for example full screen, or enabling GLSL, etc…). So, if in order to configure the graphics you first need to launch the launcher, which in turn uses this same graphics, you’re screwed. You better either make a regular GUI, or give a very easy way to configure graphics through an easy accessible text file.

And most importantly, you need beautiful and manageable GUI (look at PS3/PS4 GUIs).

From here were objective facts, now in my opinion, I don’t think this would ever work. We live in a day were the normal thing is to click a button, wait, and then click play. You’re asking the users to find and download .blend files themselfs, if they are willing to do that, they are also willing to download the whole Blender suit which makes your launcher completely unnecessary.

This said, if you still want to make a launcher, I would suggest to just include it in the blenderplayer.exe as the default game if no parameters are passed. A lot of people in windows (the mainstream) hates to open a command line and don’t even know that blender includes it’s own “launcher”, just that it is not GUI based.