New Principled Shader ROCKS!

I just downloaded the 5-24 daily build and started playing around with the Principled (AKA “Disney”) shader. It is outstanding. It will make building materials so much easier. Anyone building PBR materials should download the daily build and check it out.

Thank you to the developers who got this implemented :slight_smile:

It´s developed by Pascal Schön (VanCantus). Reading various comments, it might be a bit slower than normal shaders for transparency and SSS, but yeah, looks like it´ll be very useful :slight_smile:

Was there any change to the Principled shader at that build? At first sight I didn’t notice any difference.
Probably the word “New” in the title is confusing me ?

We need a “bridge” between the GE and the pbr nodes, but I suppose that is what the UPBGE people are working on now.

(so viewport pbr and GE pbr match up pretty close)

hmm, interesting flow of this thread now. I am lost I think.

To have realtime PBR in the viewport (evee) and cycles nodes(Disney) and the game engine (upbge 2.8)
All match up, would mean one could “act” and record realtime in the game engine using mocap from positioning sensors like htc vives or ps moves, etc.

This “approximation” could be used live, as a performance,
Or captured and used as a basis to then clean up.

Something like this, driving face shape key animations with wrinkle maps would be pretty slick.

Actors could interact with physics and ai simulations and see it in real time.

BPR; Isn’t there already a thread on UPBGE development on this very page (this is about the principled shader as it is implemented in Cycles, its use as a realtime shader could go in that other thread)?

While I do agree that the shader is awesome (especially in terms of dramatically lowering the bar of entry into Cycles), I will continue to use the shaders I have spent countless hours perfecting for the time being (in part not only because I created controls for things such as coat thickness and the like, their quality is high enough now that switching to Principled won’t feel like a major upgrade).

Again, I’m not against it being there, it will be enough for the majority of people in the majority of situations (and I’m always open to features that bring more users and developers to Cycles).