Lowering the amount of the vertices on a mesh

This a general question that I never saw addressed in any tutorials . So I’m making an AKM model and certain parts need a lot of geometry while the rest of the mesh is basically flat panes . While adding the loop cuts for those parts I ended up clustering the panes with a lot of unnecessary vertices . Well should I merge all of them into a single face ? I’m not sure because then a single face would have a lot of surrounding vertices , but I fell that like this I’m unnecessarily unoptimizing the whole mesh . Example pics :

P.S. sorry if I posted in the wrong sub-forum

I’ve come across this problem alot of time when i model stuff, i aswell would like to know if someone has a nice fix for this.
For what i’ve Heard, working with a face with 4 vertices is the best cause if you have one with 3 or more than 4 the reflections and shadows become wierd when rendering.

Tho i usually tries to chop up my model in sections, and have as much geometry as you need for each object.
Try not to model the entire thing at once, just make a new part where there are realistic edges, or if one thing is attached to Another.
Like the barrels, handle etc,

Just my 2 cents. Keep it up bro, it looks great!

try to remove some edge loops and check if it does not deform it too much

select edge loop and X key then select edge loop at bottom

happy bl

Did some cleanup by erasing the edge loops and it’s looking way better already tnx . Since I’m making this mesh for a game I usually separate the moving parts but if I get in any more trouble around this I will try separating different parts .

(after cleanup)

For non deforming meshes triangles can be ok, especially when they are co-planar. Did a quick search & found this example: http://miljannovcic.com/gallery2/remington_wireframe_renders