teapot

Hello!
I want to create some still life with old clay dishes.
I decided that the surface of the dishes would not be perfect, I mean surface must be chipped,scratched, rubbed… I made a teapot to test the clay material on it.
Question:
Does this material looks like clay?
And what’s wrong with it?

Sketchfab model looks a little differently,but I think it helps to consider the material

1 Like

Hi,
In my opinion the material itself looks quite realistic.
Possibly the fact that you used bump on your texture, but the ouline does not show this bump may make your image less realistic.
You could try to actually change the geometry slightly with displasement to make the outline more rough and to make it better match your texture.
Hope this will help

Thanks for your attention, appie.123.
I’ll keep in mind your opinion.

I think that the first two images do look entirely-convincingly like a clay teapot right now.

It looks good, except not PBR (at least to my eye)

It looks pretty darned close to me. Have you tried lighting it with HDR? Perhaps that would put it over the edge into realistic?

What I mean is it doesn’t seem to have a PBR material (with fresnel and stuff). But yeah, an environment would help a lot too.

Surprisingly, but I used HDR…:confused::frowning: I’ll try another.

Guys, thanks for responding!
Took note and continue to work.

Hey man,

I like your project 'coause I can relate to it: My parents both have a background in craftsmanship so we had a lot of handcrafted pottery at their place. I know this thread is about the material witch I think looks pretty good for a start, but I got something to say about the model:
I think you could improve the overall appearence by paying some attention to the process of how such a piece is made. So first the main shape of the pot is probably made on a spinning table like this:

That produces little parallel creases on the surfes that rise at a very flat angle. Also the spout and grip of the pot are usually applyed from a different piece. Right now the whole thing looks pretty much like one cast. And I think the cap should have a knob-like grip. Here are some more images to illustrate what I mean:

To make the material more interesting you could experiment with different types of enamel.

I hope this is helpful. Have a nice day and some fun with your digital pottery :wink:

Aaron

This clay teapot is really nice. And yes, it looks like clay. But I think you can improve the coloring a bit something like this https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1gCa0JFXXXXb4XVXXq6xXFXXX7/Limited-260ml-yixing-Rare-Old-Duan-Clay-teapot-handmade-zisha-pot-chinese-antique-purple-clay-kung.jpg

Also use PBR shaders if you are not using them.

Thank you, Aaron.
It was helpful!