The secret to SUPER high resalution smoke???

Does anyone have a guess why it is not possible to go higher than 512 in the smoke resolution setting??? (so annoying).
Anyways if you have a hack, or a way to crank the rez up to 1024 that would be awesome!!!

Post away:D

Unless you have a dump-truck of RAM in your system and the best Xeon processors money can buy, I wouldn’t risk it.

Remember that it is a 3D resolution, so the number of voxels would be the resolution value cubed, having a resolution of 1024 would mean the simulation of over a billion voxels (which the vast majority of home hardware systems will not be able to handle).

For now, you can always cheat by deforming the coordinates of the smoke with a noise texture (done by way of math nodes and the separate/combine XYZ nodes in the part of the tree before the coordinate data gets input to whatever you use to load in the smoke).

Thanks for the info (I might kill my computer anyways). I should let you know this is for a 20 minute killer alien short film. It would be great if you could elaborate on that second part you mentioned (deforming the coordinates of the smoke with a noise texture).

Thanks!

here is a quick idea of the kind of simulation i am doing. Hopefully this will show that I really need some good resolution.