AMD at computex - EPYC, VEGA? etc..

So coming up on Tuesday, May 30st, AMD will have a 1h spot at Computex and discuss all upcoming things.
http://www.amd.com/en/events/computex-2017

EPYC Threadripper demonstration with Blender would be wishful thinking at this point?

Aside of CPU, key interest is the Vega GPU, and hope the release of professional cards soon after.

Most interesting statement by AMD is : And never-before-seen AMD hardware demonstrations .

I hope it is VEGA.

Who’s hyped?

Well, just give me the numbers and then I’ll think about it.

answer tomorrow :slight_smile:

cool that is cool s

Just realized that 10pm EDT is 4am Central European time… somehow I dont’ see myself waking up at 4am just to watch it :frowning:

Still even before it is released, Intel already has a response with an 18core 36 thread i9 desktop system. (though at aprox 2000 usd)… I love that AMD is back in the game forcing Intel to respond.

Now as long as the EPYC is not epic in price, then it might be an awesome chip. power/performance would out do my dual xeon 2687w v1 chips. We’ll know soon enough.

So only unknown, and is a major one, is the VEGA GPU side of things. Can AMD get back in game and restart something in the GPU world?

Again we’ll know soon enough.

At last. Consumer price friendly CPUs. Thanks AMD for making things move forward and making Intel not lazy.

It looks like the 5 Ghz clock rumor is rearing its head again, this time the rumor is from Asus and involves the new Threadripper CPU’s.

While it being from Asus might make it more credible than the one regarding the original Ryzens, one still can’t say for sure (some argue it’s just a render from their marketing team.

So AMD again showed off Blender as the key app to show power of its CPU, and this time even GPU. guess the OpenCL investment AMD made is paying off :wink:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Computex-2017-AMD-Threadripper-will-include-64-lanes-PCI-Express-30

so performance for the AMD’s Ryzen scene is 13.06 seconds. based on the “last render times” Anyone recall what was the results from AMD’s Ryzen scen renders? Wonder if it a true 2x performance improvement…

Second part is the second image showing raytracing, now I want to see the video when it becomes available to see how smooth that viewport render was with 4 of the VEGA GPUs :slight_smile:

when first demoed on ryzen, the result was 36sec for 150 samples… but i dont know if it is fully comparable with what was shown last night.

The public demo AMD did at its unveiling of the Ryzen used a sample size of 150 and took 36 seconds. I verified the results and the sample size with AMD as of Friday morning. AMD also initially released the test file with a 100 sample size but has since updated it to 150. So yeah, there’s a lot of confusion. Just make sure you set yours to 150.

Good point Lane…

based on comments form techreport.com the viewport render: “That system was running a photorealistic scene in Blender, rendered by AMD’s ProRender plugin.”

So not Cycles with OpenCL optimizations, but ProRender… interesting …

Yes it was ProRender… sadly the photos is not of a good quality, but you can maybe spot some little things in the render window.

plugin integration seems on good advancement now, this confirm it was the viewport realtime render. ( you can see it render only the “camera view” limit. )

I will be happy to see this demo running live.

Here’s the part about Vega Frontier. It looks nice:

ProRender uses all GPUs and CPUs at the same time. Sweet setup.

Effectively, i will not mind got my 16cores, 4x gpu setup at home.

Anyway, thanks for link…

Waiting VEGA, actually I building my new workstation, if VEGA is on par or near GTX 1080ti we’ll have finally better product at cheaper price (I guess even Nvidia will discount his cards even the 1080ti if Vega will be competitive)

I’d eagerly try prorender form AMD only if the material node setup from Cycles is applicable. Redoing all my work to fit a new render is the main reason I don’t use LuxRender, YAFRAY or other engines

Threadripper will have 4x 16 lanes for pci express. So the scenes will load very fast on the 4 GPUs. Indeed, if I was rich enough, that would definitely be my setup :smiley:

Food is overrated anyways :slight_smile:

But I wonder if that setup would cost about 6000€?

And who needs both kidney’s anyhow? :confused: