HDRI or Dome for animation

Wondering, for a short animation, that looks real shaders but cartoony look, what is the best lighting choice. I am thinking either HDRI or making a dome. I want a blue sky with some clouds ideally, and we could ‘paint’ a sky too probably.
I guess I am just worried that with the camera movements, if i use HDRI it will look obviously fake? i am not very experienced with HDRIs though. A lot of the time they end up looking too big. Thank you!

If you want a sky, you need an hdri, but if you move your camera, you want to make sure that :

• everything below the horizon is hidden by your 3D scene (ground or objects).
  • you have only very far objects above the horizon on your hdri, otherwise when your camera moves and we see that the object on the hdri doesn’t, it looks impossible. For example :

way too close

probably still too close

good

or simply use hdris with only the sky, like they have in the Pro Lighting : Skies add-on :

If you want to paint it you have to use a 32bit float color space and play with the exposure while you’re painting to have a high dynamic range result.