Sun tracking with rendering

I’m pretty new at this, but have had some success rendering and compositing up to now. I’ve depended on the various tutorials, manuals, etc., but now I’m stuck. Hopefully it is something obvious.

I have footage that has the sun moving across the frame over time, and I have composited into this a rendered object. What I need, or think I need, is the sun lamp in the 3D view to track the sun in the 2D background footage so the shading looks right. So far I haven’t found a way to do this, it seems like it should be sort of like camera or motion tracking, but in the 3D view? It’s about 250 frames, so I definitely don’t want to do it frame by frame.

Why not? It won’t take you much.
Also it’s not that you have to do it for all frames…
You could do it once every 5 (50 frames), then check if there is something out in the interpolated animation and fix.

Could you elaborate on that last sentence? I think there is something fundamental I am missing. Do I just keyframe the position and rotation of the sun lamp, then animate and fix? Thanks for your response!

Go in frame 1, set the initial position and rotation of the sun lamp.
Press I to insert the first keyframe, select LocRot (location, rotation).
In the timeline push the little red dot button (automatic keyframe insertion)
Then for example go to frame 5 and just move-rotate the sun lamp. It will insert automatically the keyframe at your changes.
Then go to frame 10, move and rotate the sun
15…
20…
25…

In all the frames in between 5-10 or 10-15 or 15-20 etc…, the animation will be interpolated.

Once you’ve reached the end, just go through frames to check if the interpolation is correct.
If it’s not correct, move/rotate the sun, with the little red dot button active the keyframe will be inserted automatically.
When you finished uncheck the button and enjoy.

Clear enough?

PS: it’s your choice how much main keyframes to set. one every 5 is just an example.

Yeah, that’s great, thanks! I actually had started into it, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Dumb.