Pennywise Lives

What if the heroes of Stephen King’s “IT” novel hadn’t killed Pennywise in 1985. They just weakened it. And It’s back in our time. A little late behind its 30-years schedule, but It returned.

My personal project I started a while back, but never finished. It is not related by any means to the upcoming film (though I’m looking forward to see it), but rather it’s a fanart for the book and a little bit for the old crappy film with Tim Curry.

Here’s what I have so far:

Here is the progress from idea to current state.
Sketch (shortly after I’ve finished reading the book):

Early composition test:

Composition tests after modeling the washing machine and the laundry cupboards:

And some more scene development (with notes):

So, what do you think about this project? And, by the way… almost forgot to thank Weekly CG Challenge for bringing It back to life (pun intended). I participated in WCG #100 “Movie Poster”:

The real monster of this scene: eyeless, one-handed, bald (for the time being) running boy.
Sculpted some wrinkles and painted color texture for boy’s pyjamas.

Wow, looks awesome, my main critisicm is that maybe the child a bit too short, just compared to the height of the door handle, or maybe could just be a pit less skinny, kind of looks like the build of an adult, possibly try a slightly larger head, (as you can tell i am not near an expert of anatomy)

I’ll try, I’m not an anatomy expert either.

UPDATE:
Is this better? I scaled him a little, and made the head slightly bigger.

Full image in the first post.

Experiments with hair. For the boy it’s probably overkill (he’ll be blurred anyway), but I’ll need these skills for Pennywise’s head.

Laundry room brightly lit.

Added some “fabric” transparency to the… well… fabric in the bin.

TDD = Too Damn Dark!

Even if the scene is of a laundry room with the lights out, the base light levels throughout the scene must be bright enough to adequately illuminate all of it, while still giving opportunity for visual drama.

The composition should probably also be tightened, and the key-lighting on the monster reconsidered, because the first thing that our attention must be drawn to is the villain, not the little boy.

Holding my cropping-tools to image #1, I find that I can cut-away almost everything to the right of the dryer and to the left of the door. [i](Eliminate that white whatever-it-is thing on the floor, which looks like a hole in the floor. Being light, it draws the eye away from where it should be going.) Key lighting – why not have some red light be coming from inside the dryer? – now makes the monster the star of the show. The use of a “zoom lens” (large f-stop) will exaggerate the distance to the retreating little boy while making the goon that much more imposing and threatening. Experiment with a camera-on-the-floor-looking-up POV. Although the goon’s reflection in the door is an interesting effect, I have mixed feelings about it.

@sundialsvc4

What a post! :slight_smile: You made me look at my image with a different eye.
So here’s my notes:

That thing on the floor is a tablet (iPad or something). I have an invisible light source (1), which creates this lovely reflection on the door, but it also creates a lit circle on the floor (outlined with a blue dash line). And I added this iPad to justify this circle. But maybe I should try some render passes and compositing trickery, cause I really like this reflection and I don’t want to lose it.
What do you think about those little lights on top of the image (2)? Maybe, I’ll get rid of them and add a “window” off the shot (4) to illuminate it from the front?
Also I think you are right about tightening the composition, especially on the right: why on Earth do I need such a big drawer there? :confused:
As for the lighting monster from the inside, I guess I’ve already tried in the past, but I gave up this idea because of that :):

Jeez - I’d like to do that to a kid - just pop out of the dryer dressed as a crazy clown and scare the s**t out of him - that appeals to my sense of humour!!

You have picked up on the “no body” issue for the clown, the kid needs to be a little fatter, head a little larger and with shorter legs. Human legs are proportionately smaller on a kid - try to find some images of kids (without being arrested) - that will help you. I agree a little sinister lighting from inside the dryer would also help.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Clock.

You have quite a peculiar sense of humour, sir. :slight_smile: Just like me.
I’m trying to make a boy around 10-11 years old, like children in the novel (as I recall, they were around this age, right?):

Now I’m reconsidering composition, and while I’m doing this you can look at half ready Pennywise. He (or rather It) needs fine details, shape keys for facial expressions, hair, maybe torn gloves for the hands, and some part of clothes.

That’s me by the way. Myself as a ruthless kid-eating monster, isn’t it funny? :smiley:

It’s in the style of Bob Gray to pop out from an impossible place. Better if it was directly related to sewers. :wink:
Nice project though

j

Thanks.
I want to play on contrast: an ordinary peaceful laundry room, but you cannot be safe in here, Pennywise will get you anywhere. And sewers are kinda scary by themselves, even without deadly monsters hanging around.

I mean tub, wc, water tubes in general, stuff you find in every house, that are related with sewers, where It actually lives. In the novel almost every apparition can be related to It’s “home”

I see. I just probably misunderstood you (English is not my strongest skill :slight_smile: ).
Another quick composition test (which I don’t like):

Started working on Pennywise (him/it)self. The hand in the glove.