Photoshop picture size and Blender scaling question

Hey everyone!

I have an art book that has some front/left/right/back images that I plan to use for just basic modeling. I’ve already scanned them and set them up in their individual perspectives. Now, when I import the picture to the background in blender it starts it at 10m (I’m using centimeters). I know my model is 160cm (1.6m) in real life, and I want to reflect that in photopshop/blender. How can I adjust my image (hopefully without too much stretching) to reflect the 160 cm, then when importing it into blender have it the correct size?

This is how I am currently using the measurements… I use the box mesh, increase the Z dimensions to 1.6m, then import the picture. I scale that way, but when I type 1.6m in the scale section of the background image they don’t match. So How can I adjust that, or am I just thinking about this too much?

thanks everyone!

Edit:

2 more things…

1. while the box says it’s 160cm in the z dimension, when I scale the image to be the proper size, it is 66cm.

2. Which is the correct representation of 160cm? The box, or the background image? When the background image is set to 160cm (1.6m), the box is about half the size of the image.

If you have an image of an object and you know the dimensions of the object, just make a cube, scale it to the same dimensions and scale/move the image until the object in it matches up with the cube. That should be easy enough. In Photoshop you can crop the image to the edges of the object that has known dimensions, then ctrl+alt+i to adjust image size, deselect resample and set the correct dimensions, see the number of pixels per inch in the resolution box, copy/write down/remamber it, then cancel image size undo to the point where you have the image uncropped, ctrl+alt+i to change the image size again, enter the resolution with resample disabled and click OK. You will have the correct scale in Photoshop that does absolutely nothing for importing files to Blender or anything really except printing, however, you can measure stuff in the picture with marque tool now and you can set the units right clicking the ruler(ctrl+r to toggle it’s visibility). It’s often not very precise if the resolution of the image is low, but it can be quite helpful if you need to keep correct proportions of the parts of the object you are modelling.