GPU Testing (Epicly failed)

So I wanted to test my GPU now that i got it back running so I did test it on a past project that was a simple scene but the render times came up super backwards

Surprisingly the First is GPU and the second is CPU :spin:. The CPU was significantly faster than my GPU. How in the world could this be? I thought GPU was supposed to be much faster. Is it simply my GPU itself? I have a NVIDIA GT 750M 1024 MB. Thanks in advance guys.

A.
What is your CPU?
A high-end CPU will beat an aging middle-class GPU (like yours, which in addition to that is “just” a notebook card) any time of the day.

B.
Did you adjust the tile sizes? CPU = small tile sizes (e. g. 16 x 16), GPU = large tile sizes (e. g. 256 x 256).

i have a gt 755m and it closely competes with the i7-4700mq cpu.

In the case of laptops, its almost the opposite. Laptop videocards will be almost always slower than the cpu. And in your specific case, even more because that “GT” is not a good videocard and it is too old.

ahh ok so that makes since I didn’t realize my GPU was old.

Yes I changed the tile sizes and my CPU is (I’m not sure if this is it) 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

Well I am using a desktop computer I should note but I should say that this computer is a 2013 version so I guess my computer is pretty old.

But the “M” in your graphics card’s model number clearly identifies it as a “mobile” = notebook card = nowhere near as powerful as a desktop graphics solution.

Is that an iMac, btw?
If so, then that’s the price you have to pay for the slim casing: While the CPU in iMacs is from Intel’s desktop line-up, the graphics solution is from the notebook segment, as no desktop card would fit into that “all-in-one” case (not to mention issues with heat dissipation for a powerful graphics card in such a slim case). Hence the superior performance of the CPU vs. the GPU…

Makes perfect sense. You guessed right. Macs have always been easier for me to use graphics wise but I didn’t realize the flaw in the iMac desktops structure. Thank you for explaining! might have to make a change on the next computer upgrade :confused: