How to control sharpness of joint

I’'ve been unsuccessfully trying to recreate the effect seen in this video at 1:11 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-sJwsNxiQ
How can I create a leg rig where I can control how sharply the leg bends at the joint? Any help is much appreciated!

Looks like simple bendy bones !

Thanks for the reply. The rig in the video ensured that the upper and lower leg each remained the same length regardless of the location of the foot, while the sharpness of the knee joint was still able to be manipulated. Using bendy bones would result in the upper leg and lower leg having inconsistent lengths as pictured:

Also the video was uploaded in 2010, well before bendy bones were implemented into Blender. Any more help is appreciated!

Here are screenshots from the video illustrating what I’m trying to achieve:

I’ve tried everything I can think of but still cannot achieve this effect. I’m absolutely stumped. Anyone more experienced with rigging, please lend me a hand.

Blender had B-Bones which are same as the new Bendy Bones but only had Segment and Easing controls located in the Deform panel. Now the feature has its own panel and more controls.

Make a leg with two bones. Give them both some Segments and adjust the Ease In/Out (in the Bendy Bones panel). Out on the thigh, In on the shin bone I guess. Rotate the shin to see the bending. Remember to set the armature display to B-Bone to see the segments. Drive those ease settings with another bone and give that bone a custom shape. I think that’s all we are seeing in the example.

-LP

Thank you LarryPhillips, this is exactly the solution I was looking for.