Problems rigging the spine.

Hello guys and thanks for reading,

I’m having trouble rigging a character model. I’m rigging these model for use inside of Source filmmaker, but the trouble I have is with how the mesh is deforming when I’m posing the spine.

My character’s spine consists of three spine bones: bip_spine_0, bip_spine_1 and bip_spine_2. Spike 1 and 2 are deforming well when posing them, but spine 0 has some weird jagged edges when I pose it. These jagged edges look like “cliffs”. It’s a bit hard to explain.

To weight paint it I used automatic weights and then I made changes to the rig manually either weight painting or adding/removing weight with the point weighting technique.

The problem I think is that I added some extra weight to the pelvis to make it deform better and that somehow affected spine0.

Does anyone know how I can fix this or where I can find a tutorial to rig simple spine bones?

Thank you!

You really need to post a blend file, or at least screen shots. It sounds like the problem is due to editing the armature after setting the automatic weights. Simplest fix, if you haven’t invested a lot of work into weighting other parts of the mesh, is to use Alt-P to unparent the mesh, then use Ctrl-P to reparent it again, with automatic weights.

But I could be wrong… Need to see the model.

Well, I have invested alot in manually fixing and weighting other parts of the mesh, so I’d prefer to leave that as a last choice.

Hopefully this shows what my problem is.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I does look like a simple weight painting issue(taking into account that hips and lower spine are never simple)

You need to take into account that the pelvis should never be weighted straight across, but it’s max influence should be down through the crotch, and a saddle shape, up and around the hip bones. Then the abdomen should smoothly take over above that.

Also, make sure you don’t have any other bones influencing the problem area.

The only other bone affecting the area is the pelvis, which is connected to the leg bones (thigh.L and thigh.R). You are saying that the pelvis should have the maximum weight around the pelvis bones and down the crotch or the spine bone (spine0)?

I misspoke. The pelvis shouldn’t be 100% influence around the hip bone. But it should be the primary influence, with the remainder split up between the lower spine and the thigh bone. It wasn’t until I went back in and looked at what I’ve got, that it looks like your spine bones spine0 mat be weighted too heavy. I use two bones for the abdomen and this is what my weights look like.(the thigh is also two bones.)

Here’s what works good for me…
Weights.gif

Oh! I get it now. I’ll give it a shot ASAP.

Thanks for the help!