How to fine tune colors of a lot of different elements.

Hi everyone,
I am making a 2D animation involving a lot of 2d elements (see the image)

on which i need to separately tweak the color. I am not really used to do compositing with blender so i would be glad to hear from you : what is the simplest way to achive this task in blender? With render layers? (that would be a LOT of render layers) By doing some grading with texture nodes or material nodes? I don’t know…I used to do such things with after effects, but i hope Blender can replace it for this kind of work.

Thanks for your help!:smiley:

Up!
Eventually i got what i wanted for the most part thanks to render layers, but blender doesn’t have enough layers to isolate some objects. Do you know how to do that in blender?
Thanks

You should check out material and/or object index to get masks for compositing. Don’t think there is a practical limit on IDs you can assign

The best I can suggest is to save two (or more) copies of the file and when you run out of layers in one file, start on the next. Not the best solution (and you likely thought of it, anyway) but there it is.

I don’t know what object and material index is, i’ll check it out. Do you mean masking a render layers with material?

The best I can suggest is to save two (or more) copies of the file and when you run out of layers in one file, start on the next. Not the best solution (and you likely thought of it, anyway) but there it is.

I like the idea, splitting the file will also make y computer happy.

So texture nodes and material nodes are no use for this case?

Yeah right, you can use it to give you masks for grading in either per material or per object.
Sure, general color adjustments can and should in the material/texture but for the very final grading you’ll want to move to the compositing stage. Accurate visual feedback of material adjustments is just very slow when you have to rerender your image every time to evaluate the changes if you want to decide if bumping up the green channel by 2 or 3 points.

adding a color curve node to your material should be way easier then layers and compositing. put it between the texture and the shader in the node editor.

since i dont know what render engine you used since you cropped your screenshot, i cant help as much.

Yeah right, you can use it to give you masks for grading in either per material or per object.

This is so cool! Could you please give me a hint on how to do that? Or if there are some tutorials? I didn’t find a tutorial that involved a lot of elements to color tweak.

Accurate visual feedback of material adjustments is just very slow when you have to rerender your image every time to evaluate the changes if you want to decide if bumping up the green channel by 2 or 3 points.

Yeah there are just a few color tools, i whish there was a HSV tool like in photoshop for example.
However, thanks to the advice from Deadalus, i could have a preview while doing color correction with the material nodes, but do you say it’s not accurate?

adding a color curve node to your material should be way easier then layers and compositing. put it between the texture and the shader in the node editor.

I tryed and it worked!! but i already set up my render layers, and as soon as you switch a material to node, you have to re select the materrial to the right object…and i have a big list of materials now, so it’s not very convenient. But it may be helpful for some elements.
Thank you

since i dont know what render engine you used since you cropped your screenshot, i cant help as much.

I used the blender default as i don’t know how to do with cycles (and i don’t know if it’s usefull as i don’t do photorealistic .

Ok so to sum up for the next project, the best way to color grade is 1. Do it per material with the material compositor, and 2. Do the final color corrections in the compositor. Is that right?

in cycles, you live in the node editor.

lots of materials? welcome to computer graphics.

your thinking is right, only tweaks and effects should be made in the compositor.

Thanks for your answer. I think i found the best bay to suit my work: Do the color grading for each elements in photoshop or gimp, and only then export each layer in a png so that there is no need to do complex compositing.

But it’s to late to do that, as i used render layers i have another question:

There is a butterfly that goes through my jungle. It appears on the foreground, and goes to the background (followed by a camera).
So i created a render layer for the butterfly alone, and i’d like to put its render layer on top of the others, and mask it when it goes behind foreground elements. (I hope you understand ^^)

Do you know if there is a way to do it with alpha and z location or something like that? I can’t make it work with mask layers…
When i try to use alpha to mask elements it uses the objects bounding box.

Here is an image to help you understand more:

And here is how the compositor looks (render layers>color balance>alpha over>composite node):

Thanks!

Yes, could have alpha transparency on the elements that get combined and then use z combine node, which has an alpha toggle. That combines them in depth, taking the transparency into account.

They’re not helping. You explained the whole thing without using either to your advantage, and they provide nothing to add to that. You also cropped them, despite getting a hint about that. Here’s the same tip in plain english: Include the whole interface in screenshots when asking questions.

This is a forum about visual arts so I’m not going to lecture you what, why, and how to improve visuals, even though it’s a very typical post around here. Just saying that the purpose of using images in posts is to help yourself, not others. Preparing and uploading an example .blend helps others to help you. Here’s how https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?322623-How-to-ask-questions-effectively-on-blenderartists-org-support-forum&p=2547191&viewfull=1#post2547191