Using Blender for cleaning 3D Scan

Hello Community,

i am happy to find this forum, because i need a basic information.

A friend of mine, scan complete people and scuptures for 3D printing. for eg.
https://www.google.de/search?q=ganzkörper+personenscan&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXscGd_5bUAhUDDZoKHYnGDOsQ_AUICygC&biw=1138&bih=659#tbm=isch&q=personen+scannen+und+drucken&imgrc=PxcGJMTmvM9AGM:
Till now, he send the files out to get them cleaned.
Normally you need to remove a part of the ground and clean the surfaces.

I am familiar with the construktion of 3D Models for mostly functional components.

Now we are thinking to do this, cleaning of the scans, ourself.
Yesterday i imported some complexe OBJ Files with texture into blender.

My computer was not happy with working on this files. It is a scan. So it has A LOT of points, lines and surface.

Computer is a I5-6600K with 16GB RAM and a AMD Radeon RX470nitro+ 8GB.

My question: Is blender a good solution for doing what i like to do, or is it much to complexe?

blender has some viewport issues since it still lives in the stone age. hopefully this will change soon.

maybe try and run a decimate or retopo to get it to a workable place?

So you think this caused partly because of the software.
Decimate could be a good solution, i’ll try. thanks

Which scanner he uses? For Artec’s ones their studio can optimize the scan enough for printing. Unfortunately not for game development… Actually Studio helps to get rid of the “noise” So the scan is good enough for printing. Geometry is a mess for UV mapping (scanner provides UVs but very messy one), rigging and other such things. But for 3d printing it’s clear.
Speaking about blender, it’s not designed to have good performance with extremely high poly models, which 3d scans are. I’ve found that Zbrush deals with such meshes better than other software.