Render preview causes blender UI to turn black and crash blender in cycles with GPU

Hi,

I have been trying to find a solution to my problem that arised about 2 weeks ago. I am using cycles for a project and always utilize my GPU to render and also in render preview (Shift - Z). However as of 2 weeks ago (nothing has changed on my computer or anything) when I enter render preview mode I lose the UI to a black screen surrounding my 3d viewport window. I can hover the mouse over these panes and click to have them visable again but then lose them once I move the camera view around.

I have seen that people have had similar problems and one suggestions was change “windows draw method to “Full””, this did not work for me and now causes blender to instantly crash upon entering render preview mode.

System Specs:
I5-3570k Quad Core 3.4GHZ
MSI GTX 1080 8GB Video Card
32GB of DDR4 Ram
880 Watt Platinum Power supply

Not sure what is going on, but I am dying to find out a solution. When I switch to CPU it works fine however as expected its just a lot slower to render. I have checked video card and its appears to be operating fine and I am getting no pop ups or indication there is an internal failure. Also the problem only exists in Blender…no other games or programs are affected. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I have even tried reverting back to old drivers for the GPU…no change. Anyone out there with any advice I am all ears!!

Thank you in advance.

Since the Windows 10 Creator Update, have been experiencing same issue. Black panels and glitches while in GPU view port render mode. Same issues when rendering frames. More issues with blender crashing when rotating in Viewport Render mode.

CPU render mode still works fine, only GPU is an issue.

Before update, 2.78c and 2.79-RC1 were working fine.

All drivers and BIOS up to date.

Solutions attempted so far:

• Disabled new Windows gaming mode.
  • Update of all drivers (MB, Audio, Nvidia)
  • Changed user preferences in Blender to Full frame. (Black panels go away, glitches and crashing still present)

Anyone else having these issues?

Will continue research to see if a solution presents itself.

System Specs:
Intel: i5-6600K 3.5GHz
EVGA: GeForce GTX 1080 8gig
EVGA: GeForce GTX 980 4gig
MSI: Z170A GAMING M7 - 16 Gig Ram
Windows 10 pro 64-bit

Since the Windows 10 Creator Update, have been experiencing same issue. Black panels and glitches while in GPU view port render mode. Same issues when rendering frames. More issues with blender crashing when rotating in Viewport Render mode.

CPU render mode still works fine, only GPU is an issue.

Before update, 2.78c and 2.79-RC1 were working fine.

All drivers and BIOS up to date.

Solutions attempted so far:

• Disabled new Windows gaming mode.
  • Update of all drivers (MB, Audio, Nvidia)
  • Changed user preferences in Blender to Full frame. (Black panels go away, glitches and crashing still present)

Anyone else having these issues?

Will continue research to see if a solution presents itself.

System Specs:
Intel: i5-6600K 3.5GHz
EVGA: GeForce GTX 1080 8gig
EVGA: GeForce GTX 980 4gig
MSI: Z170A GAMING M7 - 16 Gig Ram
Windows 10 pro 64-bit

Yeah i’m having this issue as well.
Black panels everywhere, and as stated, when i click in a black panel it comes back.
However, lately, i rendered a model, but the panels would come back as before. Had to quit blender.

Also on Windows 10 64bit and GTX 1080 8gig

This has been happening to me as well. I think the common denominator here is GTX 1080. I’m running Win 10 64 bit with a GTX 1080. I have another PC running Win 10 64 bit but with a GTX 950 and I do not experience the issue. Both PC’s are running the Creator Update, so although it may have been triggered by the creator update, the issue seems to be with the GTX 1080.

This is so frustrating, I hope someone can suggest a fix or have this resolved in a future Blender update.

I had the same issue, until a few moments ago. Turning off the Nvidia In-Game Overlay did the trick.

Win10 64, GTX 1070

I have the same issue but with a gtx 980