Suzanne origin discovered!

Guys at NASA are wondering what could this be. NASA doesn’t know the obvious answer! :D:D

If “groundhog” has suddenly become a synonym for " big rock", then yes. That’s what it is.

But it’s does look a bit like a grainy suzanne render now that you mention it.:smiley:

Does anyone know who modelled that suzanne monkey? Is that a blender person or is it like the Stanford rabbit or that angel statue :smiley:

Suzanne was supposed to be the last model released in Blender way back in the day. Someone bought it if memory serves correctly (Ton?) and Suzanne stuck around as Blender became redeveloped, becoming a mascot.

The way I heard it, one of the “stock shapes” that they came up with, in addition to “the usual geometric thingies,” was, “a generic starting-point for any kind of ‘head.’” And, well, one thingie kinda lead to another thingie, and we wound up with a now-beloved monkey-thingie that, by now, has become just-about as famous in computer-graphics circles as a teapot, a unicycle, or a beach ball. :yes:

I can’t recall who, but Suzanne was modelled by some one in the gaming industry. Not a blender person, I don’t think.

The answer is on Wikipedia

(though I was pretty sure that Suzanne predated Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back and that the actual movie reference was at the end of Mallrats).