Finished Projects Image quality issues

I’ve tried creating posts here in the Finished Projects section but never gone ahead and submitted them because of how awful the image upload quality is.

• When I try to upload the original PNG file, BA automatically converts it to a blurry, horrible JPG.
  • When I try to source the PNG using a link from another website I already have it on, BA whines that the file is either too large, or that there is an error of some kind.

C’mon now, this isn’t 2001. I’m no web developer but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen anything like this anywhere. Surely these kinds of issues should no longer exist on a modern site?

However, I have noticed that all the featured projects use JPGs, but the quality is much higher than when I try to upload. Is there something I’m missing about uploading images?

Blenderartists like other forums is not a file/image hosting site. There are file type and image size limitations for attached images. If you want to show the original image then host on your own site (or other of the multitude of file/image hosting sites) and just link to it rather than attach

I’m no web developer but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen anything like this anywhere. Surely these kinds of issues should no longer exist on a modern site?
It is not unusual at all for forums and the file size limits here seem pretty generous

In general, a high-res .jpg image using minimal compression should be enough to get a good quality attachment into your thread (as Richard said, this forum does not have a real stringent image size limit like some other forums might have).

Thanks, I appreciate the explanation/suggestions guys.

I’ll just link then and save the original file as a high-quality JPG if I want to include a visual.

This is all very useful information, I only recently had an issue with an image upload myself. I think I’m going to try a different file format, and not worry so much about the file size anymore. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi @moderators. Just using this topic to bring up the blurriness of the Finished Projects thumbnails.

As shown Feature Row looks good as those are downscaled from the preview images within their threads. From Sabrina for example, 500px × 500px (scaled to 185px × 185px) for Feature Row thumbs:

https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/d/f/f/dff26a731f07e410db599c15085986380f5f0c2e.jpeg

The above resources could be used rather than this type, 160px × 160px (scaled to 344px × 344px) for Grid View thumbs:

https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/d/f/f/dff26a731f07e410db599c15085986380f5f0c2e.jpeg

Other potential solutions are annotated in the pic. The alignment thing is less bothersome but would be nice to fix (if trivial).

Thanks for your consideration.

1 Like

As mentioned elsewhere, that gallery is a temporary workaround. The original grid layout should be back later.