Neill Blomkamp's new studio taking inspiration from Blender Cloud?

The more I thought about that, the more it became, “What if the users had access to all of the 3D files that we used for the visual effects?” If we just gave that away with any one-time purchase and you could render stuff yourself? Or what if we just give away all of the raw footage of one of the pieces, and anyone in the audience could they recut the the entire thing themselves? Stems from all of the music, or voiceovers from the actors; I just wanted to open it up and let people remix it.

Neill Blomkamp going all Blender Cloud? :wink:

Imagine if the Blender Foundation could strike a deal with Blomkamp’s studio and have those assets released as *.blend files. Could be a huge boost to further solidify Blender in the VFX industry.

Would be cool but from their perspective would it be worth the effort to transfer all that stuff to Blender? If say they are using Maya (which is most likely). It’s great concept though and a good way for an FX studio to make money i’m surprised more haven’t gone this route. it could be an excellent source of revenue. They could strike a deal with the studios for licensing or revenue sharing so things like say the next Avengers movie when you download the latest Shield Helicarrier (just an example)everyone gets a share of that. Students and hobbies can learn something, FX houses get a bit revenue, Studios get some as well. I see it as a win win thing.

What software they use for VFX and rendering?

Don’t know if that matters, though some VFX work are really good, many of these shots aren’t very well comped. Why? Can be anything from bad artists to artists having too little time to bad VFX supervision to producers/directors pushing the VFX into “badness” - the software used is the least relevant in regard to that…

Edit: Jumping through it again, the grade is also wildly uneven, I’m guessing they didn’t have a colorist do the full film from start to end - which isn’t surprising as those are ridiculously expensive. But man, what a difference a good final grade does to any movie, that and sound design and music can change any crap into a masterpiece and the reverse.

If anything it’s really cool to see how much work is needed to make a good looking movie. The director is just a small part in overall presentation but the director is the one that can make or break the movie.

Rendered with Redshift. They use 3dsMax for the scene assembling (and modeling, most likely), Maya for animation and Houdini for VFX.

Love these shorts- Blomkamp elicits such a range of responses regardless of specific critiques of the fx. It is amazing what a small team working on a concentrated story can come up with- inspirational to indy movie makers everywhere.

Look at this damn rig

Oh my. Does Maya has similar to skin modifier for automatic armature ? Rigging this by hand seems impossible just for the sheer visibility of the bones.

Houdini with a procedural setup sounds more likely. I seriously doubt that they did the setup and the animation by hand.

the Zygote rig was according to its makers… 100 % procedural and done in Maya while most of the work was spend in vim writing the python code for the procedural part.
the info is from the comment section from the video

Even though I think it’s really great what they are trying to do here, I pretty much find these movies to be totally tedious. Beautiful VFX, pedestrian storytelling.

1 Like