Normal map failure

I am trying to learn how to use a texture brush to create a texture while in multires, then create a normal map, then apply the normal map and delete the multires. I’m using simple multires since I don’t want the cube to turn into a sphere.

I can make all these moves, but the results are terrible when I work on a cube. As an experiment, I made the exact same moves on a plane and on one side of a cube. The cube always results in strange soft dark shadows over about half of the face, while the plane works fine. Shade smooth vs. shade flat has different results, but still not good for the cube.

I’m guessing there is something fundamental I’m not understanding. I’m including a JPG of the results and also the small experimental Blender file I am playing with.

Thanks for any clues

Attachments

NORMAL FAILURE.blend (4.02 MB)

That’s because you used smooth shading when baking. You want flat shading on the edges of the cube. What I don’t get is what method you used for making the normal map. If you used sculpting with a multires modifier, then the resolution of your bricks suggests that the mesh would be in much higher resolution than what the smooth shading on the edges suggest which is impossible.
If however you painted a height map (and it seems that’s what you are saying at the beginning of your post), then for starters, you don’t need a multires modifier. You can simply paint on a simple flat cube without any additional geometry.
If I’m wrong about the method you used, describe how you did it precisely.

Thank you ChameleonScales. You did solve the problem. Smooth shading was on during baking. Another lesson learned.

You’re welcome. I’m still curious about the method you used though.
Also don’t forget to mark your thread as solved. This helps the “helpers” know where they’re not needed and saves them time.

Sorry for the delay.

The method was zero brush - an add-on which makes normal map baking very easy (one click) but produces a poor map, in my opinion. These were the first normal maps I had ever made. Since beginning this thread, I have now learned to make normal maps by the standard two-object method and after many experiments, I am convinced the ZB method, while handy, is inferior. Attached is a JPG showing a comparison and the blend file from which the jpg is a render.

Thanks again, ChameleonScales.

Attachments

COMPARE CYCLES NORMAL TO ZB NORMAL.blend (5.52 MB)