Futuristic City

This is a fictional futuristic city model making for my short movie project.

Attachments

The problem with criticizing something like this is that it’s hard to tell if all of this is intentional. Your buildings are “boxy”, having sharp lines where my brain says they should be smooth. (2nd image, tall, “window-y” building on the right).
You’ve used a lot of tiled textures and it’s glaringly obvious. Now, the building in the middle you’ve obviously put more effort into. It has a curve on the corner and edging that makes it feel more realistic.

Something I noticed while I was typing was that, in the third image down, directly behind the smaller building is a skyscraper with “edging”. The rest of these buildings could stand to gain from such efforts, even if the edging is smaller and less obvious, it’s absence stands out. It will also help render those tiled textures by giving them some order instead of all of those odd angles.

I also assume the trees are intentional…but it’s obvious. So obvious that it almost feels like you’re going that way (2d trees) artistically…
What’s with the red line on the corner of that building? It’s distracting.

Floating bus looks cool in the last image, but “boxy” again in the first. Oh…and…streetlights normally face the street.

Lastly, and again, this could be artistic direction, but it feels like the colors are…muted. Either too much light or the textures aren’t right…I’m not sure.
Edit to add:

One thing I would suggest is to use your layers to construct each building separately. Focus on making the one building. If you have more buildings than render layers, build “blocks” of the city in each layer. Focus your effort on one thing at a time.

Also wanted to add:

See how they have kind of a border around them? It’s a thin black line, but it makes all the difference.

A little more realistic, but still my point is here:

All of these buildings have an “edge” to them, where the windows stop. Forming a solid “border”.

Thank you for pointing it out!

This project will takes over 3~4 months and I started this project a week ago so I will improve this scene.Of course I know the problems of this scene.Many object are provisional so I will replace these objects with more detailed objects.

I want you to know these points.

1 This is a scene for animation so I want to save using polygons:Now using about 40000 polygons.

2 This is first time for me using blender for big project:I used C4D for a long time.

I will improve this scene in reference to your advice.

Thank you so much!

Forgive for ringing the same bell again, but the UV textures need to be more uniformed. Also, you might want to change the lighting so the colors won’t look so faded.

No problem. None of the criticism was intended to be mean.

Another suggestion since you mentioned keeping your poly count down: https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/how-to-render-a-complex-scene-without-crashing/
He’s got a load of tutorials that are free and incredibly useful, but the one I linked is for complex scenes.

Progress update.

Test movie.
I made a short movie for checking finished image.

This looks really good so far, but you have a ways to go if this is to be used for animation. I think you have too many unbroken square patterns throughout. Try adding some smaller features to break that up. Also watch out for repetitive patterns in general. The attractiveness to the eye of any scene is its complexity and lack of repetition. Maybe others would argue that point, but you want the viewer to always have more to see than they can take in the first time. It makes them watch again.

What sort of animation will this be?

Thank you for your advice!
This is a animation for a vocaloid PV.Do you know vocaloid?
These are vocaloid PV I made.

This time it will be a larger and more complicated project.

Reply to Xero Shadow:Thank you for your advice!

I want to make a good movie so I appreciate your advice.

Progress update.

Add some new buildings.

Walking test movie.

I made short movie of walking in this city.

Shots of a girl in this city.

Progress update.

Test shot in this city.

I made a trial short movie of this project.