You think the rope is too thick?

Any other ideas on how to improve this image?

looks to be about the right thickness to me. Did you have a look at google images for some reference?

Nice image! Now I notice that my lighting was terrible!

Attachments

Nice, you are on a good way. A particle system for some little strands of fiber that stick out like in the picture Polygobblerr posted would make it a lot more realistic too.

This one has a slightly different texture, that took me hours to create! #noob

I think the wavy forms should stick out less from the edge, and they should be a little bit thicker. Also the texture is too perfect, you need slight variation in it to make it realistic. You need to ad little thread particles to stick out all over the rope. See below, what i mean.

I’ve never hung anyone but, based on experience with ropes for sailing and securing loads etc, I’d say somewhere in the 1/2" to 5/8" range would do the trick nicely. 3/8" would be a bit too light, and 3/4" would be unnecessary. That should give you an idea for thickness.

Not wanting to be rude, but your latest image looks more like an old telephone cord than a rope. If you have a close look at polygobblerr’s image back in #2 you can see how tight the lay of the rope is, especially on the inside of the loop where it’s more compressed. The three strands that make up the rope should also be thicker in relation to its overall diameter. The real rope generally looks “fuller” and “more compact” than your image, if that makes sense.

Hi,

I agree with the above, that the latest picture has changed the rope to the worse. Now it looks like a long pasta screw.
Years ago I made a video tutorial on how to make a rope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MwaR5rkaQ&t=1s
It’s in Swedish, but I have subtitled in English. Could be good to look at.
There is also a newer video on Blender Guru (have not looked at it myself, so I don’t know how close my solution is compared to his) at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1drRNphACMc

(I suppose you might have looked at that one already)

Good luck!