how can I improve the realism of this composite?

Hello,

I inserted some objects into a camera tracked scene and am generally happy with the results, but I think it can be improved. I’ve been staring at this for days and could use a fresh pair of eyes on this to see what I’m overlooking. Maybe watch the video before reading the issues i noticed.

Composite
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63Rv4umviHwR09vbWVaZXFmVzQ/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Original
[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B63Rv4umviHwRWNjNTJmdmhfOGM/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Blend File

Still frame

Issues that I see:

• I used an environmental background movie for the wine glass reflection to match the camera motion. The reflection movie looks pixelated to me. How can this be fixed?

• There is a white border reflecting on the right side of the wineglass. If i turn off the shadow (ground) layer, it goes away and looks much better, but the serving tray looses its shadow. If you look closely you’ll see it’s the same shape/size as the ground plane, which is supposed to be invisible… I can’t figure out how to fix this

• The bottle looks very crisp, almost too crisp. Maybe i’ve been looking at it too long. Does it need some kind of slight blur or something?

• Do you see anything else out of place?

I think it’ll pass if you watch it on a mobile device, but up close I’m not sure.

Thanks for taking a look,
SB

Note: I installed Filmic Blender for color management after researching ambient lighting and colors so if you download the file and your render colors are different, that’s why.

Generally it think it’s quite close but nonetheless has a bit room for improvement:

• The lighting looks a little too cold.
  • There’s too much light from the left on the label.
  • The track seems wobbly a bit every now and then.
  • It’s indeed too sharp.
  • the perspective doesn’t look 100% accurate.
  • Your models seem to float a bit since the shadow is a little too wide.
  • What you see throug the glass should actually be a lot smaller then what you see through the camera (reference: https://goo.gl/images/Ocib4Z)

So nothing of the above is totally groundbraking off but it adds up and maybe tweaking only 2 or 3 would be enough. A “+” marks what I think would be the starting points for me here.

thanks for the observations & constructive feedback.

you know, you’re right, it does look cold. I hadn’t noticed. that’s interesting how things should get ‘thinner’ when refracting through glass. maybe i can shrink the movie, or project it onto the glass somehow.

I wouldn’t have guessed, but after modeling & tracking, turns out lighting is the hardest thing i’ve tackled yet. every time i turn up the light to make the shadow deeper, the light reflected from the ground plane goes crazy

i’m going to work on the items you identified

thank you,
SB

I’d probably “cheat the shot” by moving the wineglass so that it simply moves out-of-sight as the camera moves. If a particular spot in the scene is “drawing your eye,” just try to conceal it! :spin::spin: