Remake of Pixar's Luxo Jr.

Hello BlenderArtists,

It’s been a while since I registered here, however this is the first time I post. A quick presentation is therefore necessary. I am a non-professional graphist passionate about the production of animated movies. I have been using Blender for 10 years and I am really impressed by the evolution of this software. I hope someday to be able to work in the animation movie industry and, why not, with Blender.

So now, as mentioned in the title, I would like to show you my remake of Pixar’s Luxo Jr. I hope you’ll enjoy it !

Reviews and criticisms are obviously welcome. :slight_smile:

Wow! I have no criticism, this is incredible. I had to reference the original short just to make sure they were different. Spot on! I would have loved to see some sort of a twist at the end though :slight_smile: Maybe a follow up? Did you use cycles for this or some other render? Would love to see a behind the scenes.
Thanks!

Its great. Can you post a breakdown video as well.

Hello,

Thanks for your replies.

No, no suite planned. Maybe another time. Yes, it’s rendered with Cycles.

I tried to make a breakdown. It’s the first time, so I hope you’ll enjoy it. :wink:

Thanks. :slight_smile:

What an excellent idea for an animation exercise. It’s kind of like the old masters being copied by students.

This is awezome use of Blender, nice work :slight_smile:

@rontarrant: Yes, that’s exactly it! There is some interesting challenges for the beginners in animating Luxo Jr., especially the cord. I learned a lot in remake this short movie.

@Asmund: Thank you !

What’s next? Tin Toy? Knick Knack? Red’s Dream?

I’ve been trying to talk myself into learning animation ‘the Blender way’ and your approach has inspired me.

Really nice animation, it gives the old pixar feel

What’s next? Tin Toy? Knick Knack? Red’s Dream?

I’ve been trying to talk myself into learning animation ‘the Blender way’ and your approach has inspired me

What’s next ? I’m working on a new short film. This is not a remake. It is an “original” content based on a known universe.
Otherwise, to stay in the universe of Pixar, I sometimes work on a technical demo of Wall-E. I started it a few months ago. I’ll open a topic if it’s worth it.

Thank you, boruland. Yes, that was the idea. I wanted to keep that old feeling, but have a more modern look.

Incredible work! I’m a HUGE Pixar fan so this was fun to watch.
This inspires me to learn more about rigging.

so good! really nice work!

Thank you, Jared.Owen !
Yes, you should. Rigging is a very powerful tool.

Thank you, Aang !