CUDA error: Launch failed in cuCtxSynchronize()

I was rendering an animation when this problem occurred (CUDA error: Launched failed in cuCtxSynchronized(.) ). I know next to nothing about the technical side of blender. I have tried looking for a solution online, but haven’t found a conclusive answer. Can someone help and explain why this happened?

Thanks!

Do you get the same error when you use smaller tiles? I remember vaguely that that was the solution for me.

thanks for replying! The tiles I’m currently using are already reduced by a large amount (the exact number slips my mind. I’ll post again when I can get the file). I lowered the tile size to reduced render time for this animation and it seems to work fine until halfway through.

I had this error for the first time just recently. It happened when I linked or appended an object with a volumetric texture. The same object in it’s original file renders on gpu with no issues. I might try to reproduce it in a simpler form for a bug report.

Could you give more information? Graphic card? OS?
Does the problem occur with most scenes or with a particular scene?
Could you share the scene?
http://pasteall.org/blend/

Do you use path tracing or branched path tracing?

I reduced my tile size from 512 to 100 and it sort of fixed it. It’s rendering but at a slower rate. I’m going to fidget around with tile size to find an optimal balance to get a faster render time. Thank you for your advice! It really helped

Ok. Please let me know if you find a solution. Thanks!

Sorry, I am unfamiliar with the technical side of Blender, so I do not know what path tracing is.

As for graphics card and OS: I am running a NVIDIA 940 MX on Windows 10

Sometimes in windows when you use the same card to display and render, some CUDA errors appear if you are using Branched Path Tracing. But if you do not know what it is, you should be using Path Tracing which is by default (Render tab > Sampling).

See here at the end (about problems using the same card for display and render):
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

And this is more likely to occur when you use Branched Path Tracing.