How to avoid blurry textures???

So, every time i load a texture into blender, it automatically filters the image and i always get blurry textures. I already tried deactivating mipmaps in user preferences, tried switching the filter to closest, i mean i tried every single option i could find over the forums.

Textures show blurred in the viewport and the final render. I dont have a clue what to do to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

fence.blend (854 KB)

I don’t have a clue either. No scene file, no details (textures, sizes…) just symptoms. :slight_smile:

Take these and exercise for few days.
>>> What is? Texel Density.
>>> Figuring out Textel Density.

I included the scene. But anyways, what has to do texel density with my problem? of course the uvs are perfect and the texture is not streched, if that is what you mean. But that has nothing to do with textures/images showing blurred. Already said that it happens with ANY texture, either it is 1024x1024 or it is 4096x4096. And yes, the textures i use are high quality, all of em. Maybe the one i used in the screenshot is not that high quality (even if it is 4096x4096) but as i said, i tried with other textures and happens exactly the same lol.

Btw, i didnt include the texture itself because its really big in size.

That’s arguable. See how little of the entire texture area each plank takes up? So, no matter how large your texture, each plank will only get a tiny fraction of that resolution. Either you get each of those planks to receive more of the texture area (e. g. by overlapping the UVs) or you will have to crank up the texture’s resolution even more.

In addition to that, if you zoom in close enough, you will bring any image texture down to its knees…

Did you check in an actual render or only in the viewport preview render? I often get a blurry look in the preview but then in the render it’s fine.

I’d agree with what IkariShinji said. If you need to squeeze more out of the texture you have to decide what’s important from the viewer’s perspective.

You could arrange the uvs in such a way as to accommodate the intended use. For example, devoting more uv space to forward facing geometry. Or reducing the space used for the support planks holding the gate together. Unless it’s something that’s involved in close-up renders, I wouldn’t obsess over making sure every single piece has it’s own space. Even more so for a game asset.

How you use the space will definitely have an impact. So consider having a little less variation, if you need more definition.

uncheck mip map

looks fine to me. the mapping is too small, like mentioned.

unless you mean the image becomes something new when opening in blender? the N panel in the uv editor will show you stuff about the texture.

The only reason i didnt make the uvs bigger is because this is going to be a gaming proyect. As far as i know , you need to keep the uvs withing the uv space.

Also, never had this problem in maya, 3ds, houdini, or any other 3d app you can name. Sure, they import textures with some kind of filter applied but i can easily remove it. Cant do that so far in Blender.

And no. Even if you zoom in enough, if a texture is not blurred , you can perfectly see that it is NOT blurred. Zoomin in doesnt mean the texture is going to become blurry. Also, the ORIGINAL texture in the uv/image editor appears blurred as well.

And what the hell. I saw tons of gaming models with uvs really small, and the textures were perfect. No need to be blurried.

Already did that, as i explained in my first post.

Basically, it does. The image became totally blurred, as i meantioned a lot of times already. So, yup a total different image.

I still dont understand why making the uvs bigger wil have an impact on the blurriness of the texture as long as this texture is big enough. Because ive been doing this for years in maya and other software and never had this kind of problem. Is Blender totally different from other 3d apps?

Not to mention, making the uvs bigger doesnt solve the problem btw. Because i already tried.

Who said anything about extending the UVs outside of the UV space? This is one of your planks:

Each plank is only using about 6% of your image texture area. Now do the math: How large does your texture have to be to maintain a resonable resolution on such a tiny fracture of the entire image?

And once again I’m asking myself: Cycles was never intended to render low poly game models. Hell, Blender can’t even export Cycles’ node based materials properly. So why would you need to render this in Cycles? And BTW, I thought you had happily returned to Maya already?

This leads to two questions.

Why are you using Cycles if you’re working on a game (because it’s not a game engine)?
And what kind of engine are you using that does not support tiling textures in 2017 (something which all the mainstream engines support)?

in the game engine, turning off mipmaps is inefficient. i believe its a method of compression?

Because it doesnt matter? i always use cycles no matter if it is for a gaming project or not. That has nothing to do with textures showing up blurry. And who said anything about tiled textures?? im totally ok with those. Again, the uv mapping has nothing to do with my problem.

And btw, as i said in my previous posts (people cant read?), it doesnt matter if i use cycles, or blender render, textures are still blurred.

Again, it doesnt matter because the texture im using is already 4k big enough to solve any problems about texture area, we are not talking about a 1024 texture mate. And again, why Blender is different from other apps (any other 3d app doesnt have this problem)?. It doesnt matter if the texture is really small. If the texture originally is NOT blurred, why Blender do it? THAT has nothing to do with texelation. Why you guys keep bringing that up? lol.

I never said i am going to use cycles to render. I dont need to. Im not even going to use Blender to texture, i will use Substance Painter. That doesnt change the fact that i want to see my textures in Blender WITHOUT being blurred automatically. Because any simple test i want to see within Blender, its compltely ruined because the textures appear terribly blurred.

And yeah, at this rate im afraid i will end returning to maya. Too many throbacks with Blender (even if small things) about things that should be really straight forward or really simple to solve, and they arent… the only reason i didnt go back to maya yet is because i invested a lot of time learning Blender. At least now i know why Blender is inferior to Maya or other 3d apps. Still, i like Blender more than Maya, but at this rate… i wont have a choice lol.

Its inefficient no mater what engine you use lol. Apparently.

If the texture originally is NOT blurred, why Blender do it?

Zoom in on ANY image texture far enough, and it will become blurry. And seeing your UV map, you use only a very tiny portion of the texture for quite a big plank. So, it is quite logic that it appears blurry.

It isnt logical at all. The final aspect of any texture is far worst than the orignal just because Blender apply a blurr for no reason. It doesnt matter if you zoom in or not. Thats not the problem. A blurred texture from distance will look still far worst than the same one without blur. And again, the uvs have nothing to do with this problem. It happens in every single texture, it doesnt matter if the uvs are applied, or not, or if the uv map is perfect, or if the pixel distribution is perfect or not. And again, Blender is the only 3d app ive seen so far (and i used A LOT lol) that screws up textures when loaded.

Obviously you guys really dont have a clue how to solve this problem. I was expecting other “tricks” to make filter dissapear, but i guess Blender is how it is. Thanks guys, i guess i will think seriously to go back to maya, even if i dont want to. Too many annoyances so far with Blender.