cherries

Hi,
I’ve focussed on materials for the cherries and tried Mballs for the water drops.

What do you think?

Textures are from textures.com and blender-archi.tuxfamily.org.

Hi, nice work.
I think the cherry material could need a bit more subsurface scattering. If you already have it in the material, increase the scale and maybe increase the radius in the red channel. Also make sure the scale of the scene is correct - SSS uses the scale of the objects.
Also I think there is way too much specularity. It looks like you used two layers of specular - maybe specular and clearcoat in the new Principled BSDF? If yes, you should definitely remove the second specular / clearcoat layer. It also could use a suttle hint of bump - maybe just use a noisetexture for this, but don’t overdo it. f you don’t use the Principled bsdf, make sure to use the Fresnel / Layerweight Fresnel Node as input for your glossy mix shader.

The wood texture is a bit low res. And some compositing to make it pop would be nice.

Otherwise nice image.

Several months ago, I was working on a cover for a novel that involved cherries and aliens. I was trying to do the cover in Photoshop, but working in 2D, I can’t get anywhere near the effect I’m trying for, mostly because I have no way to photograph cherries ATM and can’t find any clipart that’ll work for this particular image.

And then I saw your image. Maybe the SSS needs a bit of a tweak, I don’t know. I’m no expert, but I’m very curious about your node tree for the cherries. Would you be willing to share?

have you looked for reference images? Look at this for example: https://themominmemd.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/bigstock-fresh-red-cherries-on-a-wooden-45802765.jpg

Cherries, have slight bumps on the surface the reflections are not sharp, also they have a slight color variation from light red to dark red. The stem of the cheery usually has a big bulky end, where it was attached to the tree, that’s the hardest part of the stem so they rarely break off, on your image all of them are broken off. The stem also gets bigger where it’s attached to the cherry. If you check the stem vs cheery body width ratio your stems are unnaturally thin, I suggest to make them thicker. Also the stems need some color variation and need to be lighter green as well, as you can see on the reference. Hope this help, looking forward to see your update.

Hi Stuntkoala,
I’m very happy about your feedback. It is very helpful.
I thought the second glossy would make the material look more wet, but it doesn’t. I will try to use the first glossy for the wetness effect.
My material has SSS, but I’ve adjusted the Mix Shader (Diffuse and SSS) wrong.
It is a good idea, to use a little bit of bumb for the cherries.

Anthony

Hey Ron,
Thank you for your feedback.
I’m glad that you are interested about my node tree.

Here is my node tree for the cherries:

The texture is a wood texture (chêne blender-archi.tuxfamily.org), because I couldn’t find a cherry texture.

Both node groups are for the wetness effect.
First node group (makes the color darker):

Second node group (adds a second glossy to the material, but it doesn’t look good)

Anthony

Hello NeverTilt,
Your feedback helps a lot. Thank you.

I have used a reference image, but unfortunately I ignored all the fine details.
I will try to add all details ,you said in your reply, in my next update.

Anthony

I personaly usually don’t mix diffuse with SSS at all for most materials. I always go for 100% SSS. Either light is scattered, or it’s not. Mixing in diffuse would only make sense, if there was dirt or dust on the cherries for example. You can controll the “strength” of the SSS effect with the scale value and the radius sliders. I usually plug an RGB Node in the Radius input so it’s easyer to controll.

I’m tempted to agree with Stuntkoala. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with your render, but Cherries are organic, and so need a more organic shader.

Thanks! This will help a lot!

The color of the cherries is consistent. same shade. Make some cherries more bright in color.

Hey Guys,
I have create a new version of my image, with help from your feedback.

• the cherry materials have no diffuse shader anymore (only SSS and glossy).
  • I have tried to make my cherries more realistic.

Node tree for the red cherry material:

Really nice update! I think it’s much better. All you need now if figure out how to ad those small bumps on the surface that will scatter light of off the cherries much more realistically. I suggest ad a noise texture in the hight input of the bum texture and play with the sliders until you get something that resembles the reference.