My Broken 3D Platformer Test

Some of you might have seen my last 3D platformer posts:

For a while I’ve been working on a little test game, simply called, “Little Dave.”

And here’s the blend file, too, along with some important text files to keep in same folder.
https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=487040&d=1496886243

In its current state, it’s a horrible, broken mess that only Steam Greenlight would love. I tried lots of mechanics (some of them still there, but disconnected). I even tried to streamline the use of actions with Python. Now, it seems broken beyond repair. So, in case I decide to give up on this particular game and start over, I’d like to at least show what I have.

To name a few problems:

• Lifebar starts out at its longest, even if the full health property is smaller.
  • Action often doesn’t switch from moving to standing.
  • You can fly higher than the skybox when you jump out of the water.
  • Jumping doesn’t work, half the time.
  • Ledge grab (on small stump only) lags sometimes
  • Some animations were never even made, like swimming and listening.

Directions:

• At “New Game” icon, press A on 360 controller, type your own name, press enter, and then A again. Name will be saved in future plays, and you’ll only have to press A to start.
  • Move character with left joystick, move camera with right, jump or double-jump with A.
  • When near blue box (wandering NPC), press Y to read dialogue. Press A to close.
  • When you get near gray box (the larger one, not the collectible ones that fly toward you at the beginning), it chases you. Don’t touch it, or you’ll take damage. Falling off edge will also kill you.
  • When near a checkpoint, game will save it. Dying will take you back to last checkpoint.
  • In water, use left stick to aim yourself, press or hold A to propel forward.

So, have fun, I guess. And don’t worry. I won’t block criticism. I can’t promise I’ll be able to fix this, though. It might be about time I started over.

EDIT: By the way, I don’t know where that damage sound effect comes from, so it might be someone else’s non-credited work. Lucky thing this is free…
EDIT: Also, press start to pause and unpause.

For the .blend file…

That sucks. I was wanting to play this, too.

Been following along with the tutorials. Thanks for those.

LittleDave2.blend (5.74 MB)

This should work. For weird reasons, what I initially posted was a link to a link, or something, and I can’t change it. Sorry about that.

Seems my laptop can’t handle it, but thanks for the reup. :slight_smile:

Can you describe what happened? Maybe it’s not your laptop.

When I start the game up, it slows to a crawl.

I turn off GLSL, and it messes a bit with the shading in object mode. But it looks fine in-game, until Blender crashes.

Wow, that’s impressive. I can hardly even imagine what’s wrong. Other games have run fine on your laptop, I assume? Have you tried the executable file? How about the sample I made for Youtube?
PyPlatTeach.blend (530 KB)
If you try that, would you tell me if that works? Thanks.

If it does, I can only assume it has do with either different versions of Blender, or the difference between our computers. Mine is supposedly powerful enough to run at least the minimum of Dark Souls.

Version 2.69.0, on an old Thinkpad x60. It’s pretty minimalist. All those other demos work beautifully with GLSL turned off, light-sources removed an unshaded on.

Dark Souls on this laptop? Nah. :slight_smile:

Version 2.69.0, on an old Thinkpad x60. It’s pretty minimalist. All those other demos work beautifully with GLSL turned off, light-sources removed an unshaded on.

Dark Souls on this laptop? Nah. :slight_smile:

Well, a Blender game that can barely run off of Blender itself must be rare, indeed. Then again, I’m more concerned about how the exported runtime goes, as I’m sure that would be ideal for uploading. Unless, of course, I want to upload Unity or Unreal games, instead. Thanks again for testing.

UPDATE:
Made some adjustments. Animations work better, as probably do lifebar and name system. Some actual modeling and texturing in the scenery and platform. Enemy is bigger and red, and can be killed by jumping on him. There is also a broken ledge grab on more of the scenery.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-52zlnyeDhBUEtKT1daaWZFSFk/view?usp=sharing
Also, here’s the blend file, for good measure.
LittleDave3.blend (10.4 MB)