Kitbashset Polystein Demo

Would it be possible to do this in blender?

1 Like

You can’t integrate that easily kitbash model into another object right now in Blender. Modo uses Mesh fusion algorithm for this. Maybe this will be available in Blender 2.8.

But you could try connect the faces in the right way which could be heavier task. You should try first.

I mean. You can make that kind of models with some add ons for blender. But exact functions probably not. But I’m not sure.

Edit:

Maybe a combination of these add ons

It doesn’t look like Modo uses Mesh Fushion for this at all, and I couldn’t find any information that said it did. From the looks of it, it bridges the edges of the selection with the edges of the preset mesh you’re inserting. There’s no magic going on here. If the sides of the insert and the selection don’t match, you’ll get triangles and weird topology.

I think the developers of Asset Management could tackle this. It makes sense given the nature of their addon, and I think it could be done.

This is indeed very simple to implement - it’s merging mesh presets mostly.

Yes maybe it’s possible, we will look into it !

For now you can do something like that.

http://pitiwazou.com/screenshots/merge.gif

So, it just scales asset bounding box to a size a little bit inferior to selected faces area to allow a bridge.
It does not seem to make a difference between Length and Width of the area. It could be improved.

I like this better, even though it’s the same thing…

It kinda looks like you could do this with Blender (as pitiwazou suggests) by combining the place operation and the boolean union operation into one button. You’d just have to somehow set it up to make the size of the object being placed match the face selection. I’m not a programmer so I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Little test !

http://pitiwazou.com/screenshots/replace_face_001.gif

have to find how copy the dimensions in X and Y only.

Or make something like that.

http://pitiwazou.com/screenshots/replace_face_002.gif

Oh, I didn’t see this was available in Blender. Great.
I thought that TorFrick uses Modo’s Mesh Fusion:

Nice Wazou :slight_smile:

It’s really crapy code to see if it is possible, sure we can do much better for the AM ^^

TorFrick does not use Mesh Fusion at all. Look at one of his latest videos:

TorFrisk is not easy to follow because he using custom Modo scripts for almost everything he is doing.

At 20:00 minute mark he will start talking about Boolean Mesh Ops and look at the item list you will see cutters and mergers with Boolean Mesh Ops. He is doing Mesh Ops in the design stage so he can move the Boolean cutters and merges without applying them. In Blender their is no need for Mesh Ops because the Boolean modifier allows to control when to apply the Boolean operation. He is using mostly subdivision surfaces at this point.

At 27:00 minute mark he will start using Polystein kit. He will open the content browser with shapes but it is not visible. He is using the Polystein kit with customize scripts that he has developed.

Polystein kit does not use Mesh Fusion as Mighty Pea has mention. It is bridging edges between the selected polygons and the mesh preset. Mesh presets also are design to be bridge to a specific size of selected polygons on the target mesh e.g. 2x2, 1x4, 1x, etc. If this not follow the mesh preset bridge geometry can have problems. Their is also a “drop” mode which is what Asset Management does now.

Polystein kit is really nice and makes it easy to maintain clean geometry or if working in subdivision surfaces.

yeah, the parts’ specific dimensions mentionned by eklein look really important in how works the tool, as it seem it’s way less flexible than one could think just by watching the video. It made me think of how the “Tissue” addon (for blender) works, how it uses one main mesh as the structure, and a secondary mesh as a pattern, which is repeated and scaled non-proportionally on each face so it can tile.
Does the same logic apply to that Polystein tool? Should the pasted mesh be scaled in it’s entirety, or just its borders?

Polystein is cool and it seems like it should be straightforward enough to implement in Blender.
It’s not like there’s any magic happening there - it’s just merging mesh presets with edge loops of equal length.
Nothing to do with Mesh Fusion.

Would be great to have in Blender though.

Could Blender developers integrate this, mesh fusion and inset mesh from Zbrush in B3D 2.8? This would be so cool.

In Houdini Mesh Fusion like functionality is achievable with OpenVDB. It is insanely fast and stable.

Here’s a modest example with Houdini Engine:

For Blender to have similar functionality would be to update Remesh modifier with OpenVDB support + possibly a filter or 2 (e.g smooth/erode). KWD has already demonstrated some amazing work he has done with VDB.

Sure, use HardOps. There are ways that you can make your own objects I assume, but in HardOps they are called inserts.

Check out this older example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xURxPGdAbjg

1 Like

I have developed something similar, but my version works with an online library of assets, so you can add it in realtime without having to download files.

You can find some examples of the add-on working here

You can decide when you add the asset if you want to just add it as a floater or if you want to stitch it to your mesh… if anyone is interested in being a beta tester, let me know so i can add you to the list once i release it…(almost finished)

I made something similar inside blender…let me know if you want to be a beta tester of this add-on so i can add you to the list