Old gaming days?

What happened to the good old gaming days where you bought a game disc, inserted disc, and played. I bought a game on disc that requires steam account to be able to activate and download. Two disc, the first downloaded steam, activated game and downloaded 24% of game really quick. It then asked for second disc(assuming to finish installing). Nothing happened when inserted and steam said download paused. I clicked the ‘Play’ button in my Steam account and it started finishing download. After 20 hours it finish and I launched game to test it. The installing popup from disc one was still up so I ‘X’ it. It then uninstalled my game. I’m now trying to install without using the disc and I’m 17 hours into my second try. What’s weird is you can right click, open, and see files on second disc, like it wasn’t prepped for installation. So far not a fan of games that you can’t just play off disc.

I think it’s because most players usually buy their games online. And thus publishers pay more attention to the online side, not to the old style discs.

Yeah I miss those days too but online gameplay is the trend today. I am recreating old game with current gen graphics with both Unreal Engine and Unity 3D

Yeah, the people who do games now work acording to there life, there are some parts of the world where thy can’t buy online games,

For better or worse, a lot of games aren’t near as plug-n-play as they used to be (many, even on consoles, requires the player to first setup an account and download tons of updates before it can even be started).

It may be one reason why the Nintendo Switch has become so popular, it is the closest thing to plug-n-play out there on all of the major platforms (insert cartridge > play game just like in the 1990’s). Even mobile solutions like Google Play is closer to that simple philosophy than the PC (where your best bet for simplicity is playing browser games using HTML5 and WebGL).