UPBGE flowmap node structure (faking water flow)

This is my implementation of “water flow shader” for UPBGE. Thanks to new time node we can create this effect pretty easily. I dont know if there is already solutions for this effect for BGE, I just wanted to create it myself.

Here is blend file with node structure if someone interested.
This is not only for water, this is for any liquid structures (lava, for example, or you can create pretty simple and effective wet glass if it is rain in your game)

http://i.imgur.com/2Rm0bCA.gif

UPBGE_flowmap.blend (2 MB)
To create flow maps you can use free software (FlowMapPainter ):
http://teckartist.com/?page_id=107

I believe 16bit texture would work better for flow maps but program seems to save only 8 bpc, so this is not good, but anyway this is free and pretty helpful software.
Also I heard that flowmaps can be created in krita.

And thank you UPBGE team for UPBGE! You make our life a lot easier :slight_smile:

отличная штука! Я уже тебе написал на другом посте но пусть ёще здесь будет написано :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey nice setup, I also have created a flowmap setup myself before upbge had the node but it needed lots of cleanup and now you are faster. But your setup looks better and much cleaner, good work. :slight_smile:

So basically this can also be used in bge with an animated value between 0-1 (for example lamp energy) and some math instead of the timer but thats very hacky thats right.

EDIT: The only advantege is that you can run the flowmap material it in the viewport with the timeline.

Nicholas_A
Пользуйтесь на здоровье :slight_smile: Надеюсь моя система нод будет полезна. Этим еще же можно делать вариативность для дыма не говоря уже о том, что эта методика используется для “гусеничных объектов” особенно в RTS, где с полигонами сильно не разойдешься.

Maujoe
Well, yea, this can be achieved in regular BGE (I wanted to create it with animated colour of material, your lamp idea is interesting too) but it is little bit complicated than time node.

I really, really happy that they implemented something in shader nodes (at last). I hope to see more interesting nodes in the future. probably time node is first step. Personally I would like to have an ability to change all specular parameters (like roughness) via nodes…but it is differen story.

Hi stkopp,

thats realy cool stuff. That node setup is also useful for cycles with some little nodes chances. I did the flowmap in krita and had some good results with the new normal paint stuff. I used a red and green 50% background and painted over it with a low opacity like 0.06.

cheers and thanks!

oh no!!! not available for linux(the other program)…I will have to look at this setup though…for me texture animation sheets may be a better solution

what are you talking about? :slight_smile: This is regular crossplatform .blend file. Maybe you dont have the ability to run UPBGE on linux?

wow! Nice to hear that it is helpful it other engines.

I was not referring to blender…I was referring to the other software you recommended for making the flowmaps. “flowmapPainter”

@JustinBarrett You can try to run FlowMapPainter with wine, I have tested it on linux mint, only when I press the “Bake to texture”-Button there is a explore.exe error but the program doesn’t crash and the flowmap texture is generated anyway and it looks correct to me (I haven’t test the generated flowmap yet). :wink:

Well it is not that important…I really do not care for using wine or windows emulators in general…it’s a personal thing. I was probably never going to use it anyway…I was merely curious.