Render/Texture Problems

Hello Everyone: I am brand new to Blender and still learning the basics. I am working on a starter project to create a couch and I have some problems and questions:

• My main problem is with rendering. As you can see from the screenshot, the Object/Texture image shows the texture apparently applied correctly; however, some areas of the rendered image are showing black or grey. I am using this image for the texture: https://www.textures.com/download/fabricplain0045/3109.
  • Also, while the texture file is a good fit as far as color and style is concerned, the “weave” size is too big - if I use it without modification, it looks like the couch is made of burlap. I have experimented with scaling the image (in GIMP), but I can’t seem to find the right resolution - it ends up either pixelated or blurred. Is there a technique to scale textures, either in Blender or externally?

Any help and advice appreciated.

Cheers. . .

Tony N.

Attachments

Couch.blend (1010 KB)

alike? | CouchS.blend (pasteall.org)

Hi burnin: Thank you for responding to my post - it looks good. Would you be able to describe the changes you made?

Regards. . .

Tony N.

Would be great if you do a comparison of your file and the one i posted above, since it’s your project, your work, your skill.
There are only a couple of changes, additions: backdrop, texture mapping, HDRI/IBL (image based lighting) & denoiser used (daily build).
You learn for yourself. Also, if any other issue arises, you’ll know how to pinpoint the problem.
Although, if anything is unclear, just shot… :wink:

OK, thanks. . .

well I downloaded the couch and the images were gone, it was pink probably cause you did not pack the textures. File - External Data - Pack textures
But just guessing by looking at the picture, I would say you did not UV unwrap properly? Make sure the UV image editor, with your couch in edit mode in the 3d viewer everything selected, that all of the squares are in the texture.

Hi SandraDau: Thank you for replying to my post - I was not aware of the requirement to pack the texture files, so that’s good advice. Also, I think you are right about the UV Unwrap being the problem - I re-worked this process and it is looking better.

Regards. . .

Tony N.