Why can't I use a sky image with Volumetric Lighting?

Hi, I want to render my Volumetric Lighting with a Sky texture. I have changed my settings to "Volume Scatter to allow light rays but when I add a (Background > Environment Texture) it doesn’t show up in the render. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks

If you have a world volume, that technically goes on infinitely, so it will always block out environment lights, you have to use local lights (mesh, spot, point, area).

For what you want (light rays) you should place a cube or similar around the object and add a volume to that. Also note that you will need a fairly sharp light source, such as a sun/spot lamp, most hdri environment maps produce to soft shadows

Hi, thanks for the reply.

1. I created a large cube and gave it a Material (Material > Volume Scatter)
  2. I then selected the “World” tab and added a (Background > Environment Texture)

But when I render I still don’t see the sky texture. Do you know what I’m doing wrong?

1. I created a large cube and gave it a Material (Material > Volume Scatter)
  2. I then selected the “World” tab and added a (Background > Environment Texture)

But when I render I still don’t see the sky texture. Do you know what I’m doing wrong?

You’d have to provide a blend file so we can see what’s going on, no way really of knowing otherwise

Maybe too high scatter value? without a blend file we can only guess