Import ZBrush Wavefront OBJ with vertex colors

Import Wavefront OBJ exported from ZBrush with UV coordinates and polypaint (vertex colors).

• Super fast: mesh with 5M quads with uv and vcols imported in 2 minutes, the same mesh without uv and vcols in 1 minute on my machine
  • Available import options: with UV coords, with vertex colors, or both and global model scale

I made this because i really needed the polypaint and because blender’s obj importer is painfully slow. I use it only with plain, but heavy 3d scanned meshes and that’s why there are no fancy options, just plain mesh (quads and tris), normals, uv coords and vertex colors, which ZBrush writes to obj files as comments and this data are not part of official obj file format specification…

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uhlik/bpy/master/io_import_zbrush_obj.py

update: 0.2.0 import polygroups as vertex groups

Hi if this is faster, better, stronger than blenders current obj importer why not contact blender foundation and let them replace old goat and get this version to the trunk?

because it expects certain data and otherwise it will fail. that’s why it’s fast and why it can’t serve as replacement of built in importer. if i make it to handle every single obj, it will get slow

edit: maybe i can clarify even more. i deal with scanned meshes with a few millions faces. mosty triangles only, but sometimes remeshed to quads. in zbrush i make sculpting > dynamesh > project all > uvs ( > decimation) and then i want the mesh in blender for rendering etc. so i needed obj importer which can handle tris/quads, uv and vertex colors (zbrush specific stuff) and thats it. and do it fast because i hate sitting 15 minutes waiting for it. so i made it…

Thanks for sharing

Just tested on a simple mesh and it works perfectly! :slight_smile:
Thank you very much!