Does the iMac Pro good for Blender ?

Dear All,

I am wondering the coming iMac Pro is good enough for cycles ? (especially using GPU)
Because I am still using an iMac 2011, and it does not support GPU in blender.

Thanks & Happy Blending!
Joe

Of course it goes very well indeed right now that Cycles also supports AMD’s graphics cards.

How can you say that? This is a new GPU with new drivers that will have new problems. The drivers on Mac OS are different as well, do you even know whether they work with Cycles right now? (Have you tested it yourself?)

Approximately none of the developers will have one of these iMac Pros either, so if there are problems (and I’m confident that there will be problems) it is much less likely they will get fixed.

On a secondary note, why would you get a non-upgradeable glued-together “pro” workstation for 5000+$? I use Apple products myself, but this thing is bullshit. The GPUs in there are maybe on the level of a 700$ 1080Ti, they don’t support CUDA and you will be stuck with them. At least wait for Apple to announce the new “modular” Mac Pro…

The correct answer is: We won’t know until the iMac Pro is out and someone runs a benchmark on it. Anything else is speculation.

If you want to do GPU rendering, read this ironically titled thread - all 134 pages of it, then get yourself something with an Nvidia card in it.

Also, isn’t there something up with OpenGL on macs? Something about the drivers being out of date? That could impact your ability to use the new eevee system in 2.8. I don’t know myself all the details, but I’d look into that if I were you before buying a Mac for Blender use.

I like Macs, my first ‘PC’ was a Quadra 700, but if you want to get into GPU rendering, you could put that 5K onto a truly monstrous PC with dual or even quad GPUs that will decimate anything that stands before you.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

I just ran a benchmark on the 10-core iMac Pro. Results here:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?239480-2-7x-Cycles-benchmark-(Updated-BMW)&p=3270041&viewfull=1#post3270041

The iMac Pro is amazing piece of hardware indeed, anyway if your goal is to get fastest render times via GPU, it’d be better to get a PC with NVIDIA card since only NVIDIA supports CUDA what is the reason GPU rendering is so fast. Until the AMD or Blender developers figure out how to use the new Vega to their greatest potential, stick with PC & NVidia. You can get a PC rig with 2080Ti for the same or less price the lowest iMac Pro, buy a iYAMA IPS 5K monitor and enjoy the lightspeed rendering. Furthermore, you can have some fun building your own rig :slight_smile: